twenty-four; thankful

-•-•-

"How are you feeling?" Freya asked as she walked with Rebekah, leading Remi through the abattoir and into the girl's bathroom. The party was in full-force - mortals, vampires, werewolves, witches, and anything you could imagine were in the courtyard below them. While Klaus, Elijah and Marcel worked on clearing out the crowds, the two women took Remi under their wing. 

"I don't know. Fine, I guess," Remi answered, but she was clearly distracted. The girl seemed jittery beyond all belief, which sent waves of nostalgia through the Mikaelsons - and not the good kind. Although they had been alive for over 1,000 years, their morals hadn't completely faded away. The overhang of death and destruction followed the Mikaelsons wherever they went; the last person they wanted it to effect was the sweet kid they had all come to want to protect and love. 

As they entered Remi's bedroom, their eyes wandered to the few pictures situated next to her bed, almost as if the photos were watching over her. One of her deceased aunt, Amelia, and the other of her deceased mother. In those pictures, the little girl that Remi used to be radiated innocence and joy. Who knew that her life would take such an unexpected turn... The two women felt their faces begin to soften and the corners of their mouths twist into an almost-unnoticeable frown. 

Near the end of Remi's bedroom was a separate door that led to her bathroom. It was mostly bare other than the fluffy blue towel on the rack near the shower and a few small soaps. 

Rebekah closed the bathroom door and walked back over to sit in front of Remi, as did Freya. The girl's eyes seemed to burn holes through the swirled marble floor. Her mind was in a different place, just wandering off into nothingness. Rebekah leaned forward and placed a hand on Remi's shoulder, attempting to snap the girl out of her daze. She shook her head, cleaning the fogginess that had overtaken her vision. 

"I may be more than a millennium older than you, but I know when someone has more demons than they're letting on," Rebekah stated as Remi took her gaze off of the tile. Her puffy red eyes were more noticeable under the several lighting fixtures. 

Freya handed her a tissue box, Remi letting out a soft chuckle as the corner of her mouth turned slightly upward for a fraction of a second. "Thanks," she said, gratefully.

"Spill," Freya said, motioning Remi forward.

Remi groaned over the fact that the two originals weren't going to let Remi off the hook. "Do I seriously have to say it?" 

"Yep," they replied in unison.

"You guys are annoying, but fine. I'm just kind of nervous," Remi said, shrugging her shoulders as if to downplay it.

"Kind of nervous?" Freya repeated.

"Ok, I'm really freaking nervous. Look," Remi said and turned around, lifting up part of her shirt to once again show the mark on her shoulder. Remi had been feeling the familiar pulsating burn from before for the majority of the night, but she had made her best attempt to ignore it. "My dad's getting closer, I can feel it," she continued and turned back around. Her voice was low, almost disappointed. "Thats why I've been kind of on edge all night, and Fernando just kind of put it all over the top I guess."

"You needn't worry about your father. I promise, Klaus promises, Freya promises, even Elijah promises - and you know how Elijah is with promises," Rebekah said reassuringly.

"Yeah," Remi said, giggling at the thought. "Can we just forget all of this for the rest of the night? Let's watch a movie, or do something fun," Remi said, not wanting to waste anymore time on worrying about the inevitable.