thirteen; nightmare

[Disclaimer: this chapter will revolve around Remi finally accepting her aunt's death. I realized that I never really wrote about her mindset now that she's utterly without a family. This topic is very personal to me. My best friend lost her mother to a brain aneurysm the day before school started for us, but she never once talked about it or took time off. She is just now starting to accept that her mom is gone, and it's been really hard for her. Here's a representation of how everyone grieves differently... a look into the mind of a teenager suffering in silence. Without further ado, I present: little witch, chapter thirteen; nightmare]

-•-•-

Remi's body jolted up from her bed in a cold sweat, both her heart and mind racing. It took her serval deep breaths to realize her recurring nightmare had just happened again; for the fourth night in a row...

She walked though the kitchen of her old apartment, the dark of the night completely engulfing the room. All was peaceful. At least that's what she though. She grabbed a glass and filled it halfway to the brim with water and began walking back to her room. All of a sudden she heard a thud which appeared to have happened in the living room. She hesitantly made her way to the middle of the living room, no one in sight. She sighed and turned around, only to be faced with the corpse of her beloved aunt Amelia, lying face down on the rug. Seemingly out of nowhere, three witches emerged, chanting a spell at Remi. She screamed-- and woke up.

Remi grabbed her phone from the bedside table to see that the time was only 4:27am. She stared at her lockscreen for a moment, a picture of her aunt appearing across it. The photo was taken years ago, but it reminded her of the good times in her childhood. She couldn't bring herself to change the picture. She was afraid that she would forget what Amelia looked like, what she smelled like, her voice, even her laugh. 

Sighing, she got out of bed and walked over to the balcony which overlooked the streets of New Orleans. A faint trumpet solo could be heard in the distance as she admired the beautiful city. The old apartment was just minutes away from the French Quarter and could be seen from most of the balconies in the abattoir. She leaned against the railing, looking in through her old bedroom window. It had been vacant since the day her life changed forever.

A few minutes passed, and she walked back inside her bedroom. When she would have nightmares as a small child, Amelia would always be the one to comfort her. Realizing that she would never be able to get her back, to talk to her again, she let out a quiet sob. Remi snuggled under the sheets of her bed in order to drown out the sounds of her sniffles, but nothing was drowning out the sounds in her mind. 'Why did this have to happen to me? Why can't my life just be normal?' she thought to herself.

She sat upright in the bed again, nervous to go back to sleep.

Hesitantly, Remi got back out of bed once again and walked down the hallway of the abattoir to see if anyone was awake. First on the right was Klaus, but his door was wide open and no one was inside. Elijah's room was directly after that but his loud snores could be heard from miles away. Rebekah was next, but unfortunately she was also asleep. Lastly came Freya's room. Remi put her ear up to the door and heard her quietly reciting a spell. 

Remi opened up the door and walked inside, taking a seat on the floor and leaning against the bed. Freya stopped what she was doing and walked over to see what was wrong. Remi still had tears running down her face as she looked up at Freya, who kneeled down she pulled her into a hug. 

After a moment, she wiped away Remi's tears with her thumbs. "You're ok, sweetheart. You're ok" she said.

"I miss Amelia so much. My heart won't stop hurting," as she sniffled, wiping away the remains tears. "I keep having the same nightmare where she dies, and there's nothing I can do to stop it. This is the fourth night in a row," she continued, Freya listening closely. "I just- I keep wondering if the witches are really gone, if I really killed them. I guess I probably sound crazy right now, but my mind just won't let me forget it," she finished.

"You don't sound crazy at all, Remi. Hey--" Freya took her palm and guided Remi's face in her direction, "it's normal to miss someone you love. But I wasn't with you on the day that it happened, so no matter what I say, it won't ease your mind about the witches. I'll go get Rebekah, just stay right here," Freya said and headed down the hallway towards Rebekah's room.

When they got back, Rebekah's eyes softened at the sight of Remi sitting on the floor with her knees tucked in front of her chest, still wiping away the occasional stray tear. They both kneeled down in front of her, not sure of what to say. 

"I heard you've been having some nightmares, huh?" Rebekah asked understandingly.

Remi waited a moment before nodding, not taking her eyes off the ground. "I'm sorry for waking you guys up," she said.

"Don't worry, we're immortal, we don't need much sleep as it is," Rebekah said, her and Freya chuckled slightly, a sympathetic undertone evident in her voice.

"I know, but I should be able to get over it. I just... I thought my mom's death was going to be the worst thing to ever happen to me. I thought that since she died, I would never feel anything that bad again. But I was wrong, really really wrong," Remi said, too embarrassed to make eye-contact with the two. All throughout her childhood, Remi had never been one to openly express her deeper emotions. It was foreign feeling to talk about how she felt, but she was tired of hiding it. 

"I understand, love. You've been through so much so young, it's ok to show how you feel. Coming from us this must seem silly, but always remember you can talk to us about anything," Rebekah finished, another calm tear sliding down Remi's face. 

"Well, I guess there's one thing," Remi said, Rebekah and Freya nodding her on to continue. "Are the witches really gone? What if they're still out there, looking for me?" 

"They're all gone; every single one of them. They'll never hurt you or anyone else ever again, I promise," Rebekah replied caringly as Remi breathed a sigh of relief.

"I think I want to clear out the old apartment. I keep thinking what it would look like with a happy family inside; one with their whole life ahead of them. I don't want to keep holding onto something if there's nothing left to hold onto," she finished, seeming like she had thought about it before.

"If you're ready for that, then I think it's a great idea," Freya replied with a reassuring smile.

"I agree. Perhaps you should go back to sleep for a while longer, and when you wake up we'll head over to the apartment," Rebekah said and Remi seemed uncertain, almost afraid that she would have another nightmare.

As if on cue, Klaus and Elijah spoke up. "We'll stay with you, don't worry," Klaus said, Elijah also in agreement. Unknown to Remi, they had been standing in the hallway the whole time. Remi seemed to ease into the idea and yawned, nodding as she stood up. The group walked back into Remi's designated room, everyone else taking a seat on the multiple sofas and chairs scattered across the room. 

Remi sat up for a moment in her bed. "You're not going to leave?" She asked.

"Of course not. We'll be right here when you wake up; always and forever," the originals said softly. Remi drifted off to sleep, knowing that she had people who cared about her watching over  her.

-•-•-

Poor Remi :( ( hated doing that to her. I just felt I needed to do that in order for her and the others to progress as characters, but I also wanted to raise awareness into this subject. I probably didn't even do it justice, but it's something I suppose. Take a minute out of your day to hug your friends, you never know what they might be going through. I love you all <3 Thanks for reading. Hopefully new update next week since I have winter break soon.