twenty-seven; new beginnings and familiar faces

-•-•-

It had been several hours since Remi Moore had left New Orleans with her father. The sun was beginning to set on the city, the sky turning into a soft mix of purple-orange swirls.

It was unnaturally quiet in the abattoir. The kitchen, which used to have bowls of empty Cheerios and glasses of chocolate milk scattered around the counters, was now nearly spotless and clung to the faint scent of adolescent perfume. The courtyard, which used to echo the sound of laughter and the sharing of stories from hundreds of years ago, was now a silent reminder of letting go of who the Mikaelsons thought of as their littlest family member. New Orleans felt different without the presence of Remi; almost dull, empty.

Despite the girl's absence, life in New Orleans carried on as usual. Visitors still giggled and cheered every time a jazz trio played a scattering of intricate notes. Tours were still lead throughout the Quarter, guides always ending with their perfectly scripted line of "go on, browse for a hex." It was like clockwork, yet it didn't feel the same.

The Mikaelsons had a strange feeling brewing within them. For a thousand years, their only companions had been each other - but the young girl had managed to burrow deep into their hearts, and her absence left a painful hole.

As the daytime buskers packed up their instruments and made way for the nighttime crowd, two sets of footsteps clacked into the abattoir, catching the curious ears of Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah, whom sped into the courtyard to intercept their unwarranted guests. As their eyes met those of the pair standing in front of them, their mouths widened in shock.

"Hello, brothers, sister," spoke the sly voice as Rebekah wrapped her arms around his torso, a jubilant smile overtaking her face.

"It's great to see you Kol, you too, Davina," she spoke and moved to pull Davina into a soft embrace, Kol looking on with a grin.

"Kol, what a wonderful surprise," Elijah said as he, too, hugged his youngest brother. As the two pulled away, sharing a cheerful expression with one another, Kol couldn't help but wonder what his half-brother, Klaus, was thinking. Klaus had never really shared a close bond with the youngest male Mikaelson like the rest of them had, which was one of the reasons that sparked Kol and Davina's yearlong departure in the first place.

A smirk spread across Klaus' face. "Well, don't just stand there, brother, come here," he said, earning a surprised look from his younger brother as the two embraced each other. Despite their differences, Kol's return home definitely called for at least a temporary waiver of peace.

-•-•-

The steel-colored SUV sped down the highway with an awkward silence spreading through the car like wildfire

The steel-colored SUV sped down the highway with an awkward silence spreading through the car like wildfire. The girl's hazel eyes gazed out the window as her elbow rested on a piece of uncomfortable protruding plastic. Her cream-colored face had stayed blank for most of the ride so far, not really knowing what to talk about. The only noise to drown out the awkwardness was the early 2000's pop mix CD that was playing on a continuous loop; a vast difference from the live jazz she had heard nearly everyday for her whole life. Remi's mind continued to wander . . . her fingers refusing to let go of the 'M' chain dangling on her neck.