ten

"Ugh," I said, setting the bag in my hands on the floor. "I think that's the last one."

"Good," Mum smiled, "now how about you unpack? I was told the bedrooms were on the third floor, just pick the one you like."

I nodded and grabbed my suitcase, lugging it up two sets of stairs before I reached a hallway. I pushed a door open with my foot, because my arms were occupied, and took a few moments to looks around.

The walls were a beautiful turquoise, lighting up the room and bringing memories of the pale yellow walls in my other room back at home. The bed looked like it was on display at a store, it was well made and looked brand new! There was a gorgeous white vanity across the room, with a flower plant growing beside it. And there was another door. When I opened it, I found clothes hung and placed neatly around the room. A walk-in closet? Surely this room isn't meant for me.

"Mum!" I called. "I might have come across an off-limits room."

She laughed and called back in reply. "No rooms are off limits, love. Pick and choose the one you like."

So I set down my things; not realizing I had this rich relatives, and sat uncomfortably on the bed. I didn't want to wrinkle the sheets.

______________________

"I finished unpacking, mum." I said with bubbly enthusiasm, bouncing into the livingroom. Mum was on the red-velvet L shaped couch knitting a light blue scarf.

"Why don't you spend the rest of the evening for fun?" She smiled.

I nodded. "So...what to you do here, around Grady's Grove?"

And her face lit up. "Visit the backyard."

"The...backyard?"

She grinned, "yes, the backyard. And watch for the lifeguard, he tends to flirt."

I gave her the most confused look before she pointed toward the window. I took a quick look before gasping.

"Grandma owns a BEACH?"

Mum giggled. "Go have fun." And she pointed toward the stairs. I was just about to head up there when she grabbed my arm. "But seriously, Mary-Jane, be careful of the lifeguard."

"Why?"

"I heard he's quite social."

I laughed. "Why, is that a bad thing?"

Mum shook her head. "Nevermind, just...good luck."

I was confused, but I decided 'oh what the hell'.

But why should I be careful of the lifeguard?