fourteen

"That was weird," Mum said, looking me in the eyes from the front mirror of the car, and then focusing back on the road.

"Couldn't agree more," I nodded. "I'm not even gonna respond to his note. I just want to get out of here."

"I understand," she agreed, "I'll speak with Ellis' mother tonight, okay?"

"Okay."

***

"So I spoke with Helen," Mum said smiling, while entering my room. "She said she'd be thrilled to have you over."

"That's great," I smiled back, but it wasn't genuine.

"Hey," she sat down on the bed right next to me, "you okay, love?"

I nodded, sighing deeply. "I don't know why, I feel like I'll miss this place. Even when I know that better things are waiting for me back at home."

"I understand," said Mum, "it's natural. I felt the same way leaving Grady's Grove to move in with.....your father."

And like always, at the mention of my father, we both grew silent.

After a long moment of silence, Mum stood up. "I think I'll go to bed now. Goodnight, love." And she shut out the lights and closed the door before the night became quiet.

Somehow, even after about an hour, I couldn't sleep. So, I stood up and placed a stool in front of the window in my room. Then I sat and opened the curtains, revealing the myriad of stars glistening above me.

I watched them silently, and a tear almost escaped my eyes as I whispered;

"Goodnight Dad."