twenty-seven

The phone rang. I automatically assumed it was either Anya or Ellis and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Sorry to bother you, could I speak to Rosalie Darling?" It was an older man's voice. For a second I thought I recognized it, but I didn't know who it could be. Why was he looking for my mother?

Mum suddenly came running from the living room and shook her head rapidly, indicating for me to disconnect.

"I, erm....I have to go. Sorry." And I quickly hung up, turning to Mum. "What was all that about?"

"M.J, dear," she sighed, walking up to me. I cringed when she said 'dear'. She's always called me 'love', and although it's just a simple word, I feel like it means a lot. There's something my mother isn't telling me and I need to know what it is. "Promise me if that number ever calls again that you won't answer?"

"But...why?"

"Just promise me. Please."

"Fine," I agreed, annoyed. "I promise."

___________________________

I decided to head over to Ellis' because mum was being confusing.

"So how are things going with Peter?" Ellis asked, trying to be casual, although I could tell she knew something was off. She just chose not to question me.

"Good," I smiled as I looked out the window at the thin layer of snow falling over the grass. "He's been opening up to me about his life a lot more lately. He also says he misses me when I'm not around."

"Awh," Ellis pressed her hand to her heart, "he's so sweet."

"Yeah," I nodded. "It is."

Kade popped out from around the corner. He was wearing a long grey jacket with thick black buttons and a red argyle scarf wrapped around his neck. His bronze hair was sprinkled with snowflakes. He looked like he had just gotten back from somewhere outside. "Who's sweet?"

I laughed. "Nobody, Kade."

"No, tell me." He grinned. "Which guy are you two gossiping about?"

Ellis pursed her lips. "And what will you do with this information?"

"Nothing, just curious."

"Peter's always talking about missing me when I'm gone, and we both found that very sweet." I explained.

"Hmm...." Kade thought for a moment. "Well just another to add to the list of guys that like you."

"C'mon, I'm not that popular."

"Right, and my face is a lamb's butt." Ellis laughed. "Girl, all the guys I like like you. Sooner or later you're gonna have to pick one."

"Ugh I don't want to have this conversation." I groaned, letting my head fall back.

Ellis nudged my shoulder with her fist. "If you say that one more time I'll set up a date with you and Leo."

I instantly sat up straight and smiled. "Continue."

And we all burst into laughter. At this point, all of us agreed that Leo is a psychopath. I had so much fun talking and giggling with Ellis and Kade that I almost forgot about the incident at home with Mum.

Almost.