nineteen

This morning, I made some tea and sat at the dining table, letting my mind settle down and absorb the silence, allowing me to think in some peace.

Previous events have been...perplexing. I nearly drowned, left Grady's Grove without Mum, met Ellis' strange new family and just last night, I found Ellis secretly talking to someone. It bothered me to realize how Ellis would keep secrets from her best friend, and I was going to confront her today.

"Good morning, M.J," said Ellis, appearing from the kitchen. I almost jumped from her sudden appearance.

"Morning." I nodded as she sat beside me with a muffin in her hand. "So tell me, what's new?" She spoke to me as if nothing happened last night, but I guess according to her, nothing did. Maybe I'll confront her later.

I decided now would be a good time to tell her about what happened yesterday on the roof with me and Kade. "Well, yesterday...."

Ellis looked up, intrigued. "What happened yesterday?"

"I couldn't sleep, so I went to the roof to clear my mind. I found that Kade was up there too, and he was playing a guitar." I told her. Ellis gave me a look. "I sat down and we talked about personal stuff and then I went back to bed. That's really it."

Ellis slammed her fist on the table excitedly. "That's it?! Are you kidding? Kade opened up to you, and your brushing it off like nothing! What did he say? Spill!"

I signed, remembering the promise I had made to Kade. "Ellis, it's his business. You don't need to know."

Ellis frowned. "M.J., don't you think I deserve to know? I'm his step-sister, after all."

"Ellis, I made a promise to him."

"So? Since when did you care so much about Kade, huh? Since when were you more loyal him over me?"

"You know nothing about loyalty, Ellis." I snapped. "You can't say you do. Not after last night."

She raised her eyebrows and her voice went suddenly quiet. "What do you mean?"

"Don't give me that. You know exactly what I mean." I rolled my eyes. "You were talking to someone on the phone, and you kept saying how I'll 'overreact' and you 'can't have that'."

Ellis sighed. She finally gathered the courage to make eye contact with me, and I'm pretty sure it was my piercing glare that forced the truth out of her. "Look, I'm sorry, okay? I might not have been completely honest with you. I was worried that you'd freak out."

"Can you at least tell me what it is, without assuming how I'd react?"

She nodded. "Okay. So I've been seeing this guy for a while now. His name is Kale, and you don't know him. I knew how worried you got about these things, and I didn't want you to over-react. The truth is, Kale is a really great guy, and he makes me really happy."

I took a deep breath, and sighed too. In a way, she was right. I had known Ellis for so long, and over time, I had gotten very protective of her. But at the end of the day her happiness was all I wanted. "I'm sorry for getting angry, we're friends and I hate it when we fight, because I care about you. And you know what? It's great to see you've found a guy that makes you happy, because that's all I want. I want you to be happy, Ellis."

"Thanks, M.J.," Ellis replied, hugging her, "And I'm sorry for assuming you'd freak out, and for being a hypocrite. I guess I didn't really think things through, but I'm glad it's all over."

"Yes," I agreed, "and I will have to meet Kale sometime, to give him the 'protective best friend talk'."

Ellis laughed. "That, you should do."

______________

After breakfast, I bumped into Kade on my way downstairs.

"Sorry," I said, moving aside, but he quickly grabbed my hand to stop me.

"Wait."

I halted and turned. "Yes?"

"I saw what happened between you and Ellis, and I'd just like to thank you. You know, for keeping your word. I don't know why, but I always had this feeling I could trust you. I guess I was right."

I smiled."Don't worry Kade, your secret is safe with me."

He smiled back.

"I know."