twenty-nine

I decided to confront Mum about it. At the picnic it seemed so easy. But now, standing in the livingroom with her seated on the couch watching television right before my eyes, it seemed so much harder.

But I have to do it.

"Mum?" I called.

No answer. Of course. It took much effort to get my mother's attention lately.

"MUM." I snapped.

"Yes, dear?" She replied, her gaze still focused on a pathetic comedy show she never watches. She was still calling me "dear", and that made me uncomfortable.

"I need to talk to you." I said boldly, snatching the TV remote from her hands and switching it off.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Why are you acting so strange? You're not the same. You're a lot quieter and a lot less happy. You've started watching a lot more nonsense on TV and you're always ignoring me. It's been happening ever since those strange phone calls have started calling our house. What is going on?" I demanded.

Mum stood up abruptly. "Mary-Jane. Those phone calls are nothing for you to worry about. You don't have to always question everything. You're not supposed to know everything. Please stop digging into other business you shouldn't be bothered by. You're a teenager in high school, you're almost an adult. Now I can certainly say, I expected better behavior from you. I'm very disappointed."

Slowly, I raised a hand to my mouth in shock. How can my mother say something like that? No.

She isn't my mother. This a stranger in my house.

I ran to my room and cried. Who has she become? How can I change her? What made her this way? I needed to find out the truth.

The phone rang. It was the same strange caller.

And here was the perfect start to my plan.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hello? May I ask who is speaking?" The voice asked.

"I could ask the same." I replied. "But if you must know, I am Rosalie's daughter. The one you were calling about the other day."

"Rosalie has a daughter?" He gasped. "Honey, can I meet you? Please? I'll answer any questions you might have, just please, let me see you." He was wheezing uncontrollably.

That was not the response I was expecting, but he knew my mother and he also offered to answer all my questions. I had to agree.

"Fine. Where can I meet you?"

"How about the park? Tomorrow, after your school ends." He suggested.

"I work at the hospital until five after school." I said. I knew I shouldn't be telling this stranger everything, but I had no other option. Meeting this man was my only hope.

"I'll pick you up then. We can go for milkshakes at the diner, or something. My treat. Look for the white Maserati."

He owns a Maserati? What, does this guy own the Earth too? How rich is he??

"Sounds great." I almost smiled through the phone.

"Honey, before you hang up, can I ask you something?" He said slowly.

"Sure."

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen." I responded.

"Seventeen? Seventeen years. Oh my god." He sounded like he was about to cry. He then hung up.

Why was this man so interested in meeting me?

He sounded more interested in meeting me over Mum.

Who was he?