fifteen

It was a dark and stormy night....

When Mum was driving me back from Grady's Grove. We had just entered a tall bridge carrying us over the ocean. I stared out of the car window in awe of the sight.
The night sky was filled with shimmering stars. It had just turned dark, and the ocean was all but calm. The clouds cried tears of rain, splurging and splashing over the water. Massive, violent waves thrashed against the rocky cliffs. Clouds as black as a thick layer of smoke hovered above me. A debilitated, rusty lighthouse was barely visible through the fog. The glimmer of it's light pierced through the darkness, guiding home the lone boat at sea.
Dark clouds lay above the water like a blanket over a child. Thunder cackled loudly, fading to silence. It felt as if it were all an illusion, and in a way, it truly was.

"We're almost there," informed Mum, interrupting me of my poetic thoughts.
I looked up, finding myself in a familiar neighborhood.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Almost nine," Mum replied.

"Okay." I sat upright, preparing my body for the arrival. Most of the drive, I was asleep, so I felt as if I wouldn't get much rest tonight.

"Aaaaand...we're here." Mum pulled into the driveway of Ellis' house. I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the door, stretching my legs and then getting my luggage from the trunk of the car.
Mum rolled down the window. "You sure you'll be alright?" She asks with that constant worried look plastered on her face.

I laughed. "Yes Mum, have a little faith in your daughter."

"I trust you completely, love. I'm just making sure, that's all." She smiled, pulling me in for an awkward hug through the car window before driving away. "Goodbye, Mary-Jane! I love you!"

"I love you too," I muttered, when she was out of sight. Then, I walked up to Ellis' doorstep and rang the bell. In only moments, I heard footsteps behind the door and it opened right after.

"Who is this?" Questioned a confused bald man in a navy blue robe holding coffee. I took a slow step back.

"I'm...M.J, doesn't Ellis live here?" I questioned back.

"Yeah, why?" His tone sounding more rude than welcoming, but I said nothing.

"I was supposed to stay with her for a week." I explained. "My mother called a day in advance."

"Oh," he laughed, "I remember now. You're Ellis' best friend. Come in." I took a step inside and he slammed the door shut. "I don't believe we've met. My name is Graham." He held his hand out and I shook it briefly. This guy still gave me the creeps. "I'm Ellis' step-dad."

My eyes nearly popped out of my skull. Step-dad? Ellis' mother got married? "Oh," I managed to swallow, "nice to meet you."

"Yeah, whatever. Ellis is in her room, and there's a guest bedroom downstairs next to Kade's room."

"Kade?"

"Right," he chuckled, "Kade is my son. Probably...a year older than you. You'll see him at school."

"Alright, thanks." I walked upstairs to Ellis' room and knocked. "Ellis?"

"Yes?" She called back.

"It's me, M.J."

"M.J!" Ellis threw open the door and hugged me. "M.J, I'm sorry about the argument we had. I know how important work is for you, and I didn't want to ruin that for-"

"Ellis, Ellis, it's fine!" I laughed. "It's forgotten. All that matters is that I'm here now." Ellis nodded. "So, what's this I hear of step-fathers and step-brothers?"

"I always told you about my mum wanting to remarry, right? Well she finally did it! I really wanted to invite you, but they got married in court because Graham doesn't get along with strangers too well."

"Yeah, I noticed." I sighed. "And who's this 'Kade' I hear of?"

"Only," she rolls her eyes, "the most selfish, greedy, self-obsessed, vexatious little flirt around!"

I groaned. "Sucks for me, then."

"How come?"

"Because the guest room is right next to his."

Slow footsteps came up the stairs, and a shirtless dude with a towel wrapped around his waist, stopping in front of the bathroom. "Speak of the devil."

"Hey Ellis," Kade smirked, "who's your friend?"

"Get in the friggin shower, Kade." Ellis told him, shutting her bedroom door. I heard a chuckle, the bathroom door closing and a shower starting up.

"Does that happen everyday?" I asked, grossed out.

"Oh, you think that's gross? Believe me,

his work-out sessions are much worse."