twenty-one

My eyes opened and I was in bed in Ellis' house. I looked around for Peter, but he was nowhere in sight. It couldn't have been a dream...could it?

I checked the calendar on the wall. May 13th. Today mum returns from Grady's Grove. I yawned and rolled over before actually processing what I had just thought.

I jerked out of bed. Today Mum returns from Grady's Grove!

"Ellis!" I called, freaking out. "Ellis! Ellis!" I tried to get off the bed, but I ended getting tangled up in blankets and sheets and falling face-first on the floor. "Ellis!" I called out again, but my voice was muffled by everything in my face.

Soon, Ellis came rushing into my room. "M.J! What is it? I heard you screaming and I......whoa. Need some help?"

I nodded and replied in a muffled voice. "Yes please."

____________________  

After many violent tugs, I was on two feet again. Thank god.

But as we walked upstairs, I nearly fell again. "Ellis...you didn't tell me my mum was already here, let alone sitting in your living room!"

"Oh, whoops. I didn't want to wake you, you seemed really tired." She grinned sheepishly. That was true though, I hadn't had a good night's sleep in a long time.

Suddenly a familiar pair of bright green eyes and messy brown hair greeted me.

Oh no.

What the hell is Leo doing here?

"Hey love," Mum smiled, "it's good to see you're awake."

"Wait a second...what is he doing here?" I pointed at Leo.

"He got a job as a lifeguard at the local pool here, so I offered him a drive." Mum gestured toward the boy.

"Oh god." I sighed.

Leo's stupid grin reminded me of my time in Grady's Grove. "Is that some way to―"

"Shut it." I snapped.

"Wait...am I missing something here?" Ellis asked.

I rolled my eyes. "That, my friend, is the infamous Leo."

Ellis gasped. "You...you mean the annoying, overly-optimistic, self-obsessed, hopelessly flirtatious lifeguard that somehow miraculously saved your life?"

"Don't forget pathetic." I added.

Leo stood up instantly and laughed. "I will not be verbally harassed by two girls without a fight."

I rolled my eyes. "What are you gonna do, throw lifesavers at us?"

"Oh, it's on." Leo lunged toward me, tackling me to the ground and I screamed just as the front door opened.

"Hey Ellis, I'm back from the grocery―" Kade walked through the door, but saw Leo on top of me as I was screaming, and dropped the bags in his hand, lifted Leo up violently by his shirt collar and slammed him against the wall yelling angrily; "What the hell are you doing? I'll break your arms if you touch M.J. again."

"Dude, calm down!" Leo yelled back.

"Kade!" Ellis shouted. "It's fine! Put him down!"

Kade sighed and let go of Leo's shirt. 

I never thought Kade could have such an intimidating side to him.

I stood up and brushed the dust off my leggings. "We were just play fighting. It's nothing to worry about."

"Who is this miserable-looking douche anyways?" Kade laughed rudely.

"Look who's talking." Leo mumbled to himself, but loud enough so Kade could hear.

"Kade, meet Leo. Leo meet Kade." I introduced them.

Neither of them extended a hand, only frowned and stared at each other with anger.

This day's gonna be interesting....

____________________

A/N: Ooh! Got some tension in there! What ailed Kade to get so violent? Perhaps....jealously?