eighteen

A/N: Oh my god guys! Lost Boy reached #155 in General Fiction! Thanks so much!

_______________

The next night, I found myself wallowing in my own boredom. Ellis' mum and Graham were away for some business trip for two days, so it was just me, Ellis and Kade. Ugh.

Ellis was in her room, I was in the kitchen getting a glass of milk when I heard Ellis yelling from her room.

"No! I told you not to call me at home! Nobody can know about this!"

Curious, I set down my milk and silently walked up the steps to her room. As I drew closer and closer to Ellis' room, the more curious I got. Who was this person she was talking to? Why was she acting all secretive about it?

I peeked through the cracks and saw Ellis with a phone in her hand talking to someone. She seemed nervous, like she didn't want anyone to hear her. Seeing her like this worried me. Was she trying to hide something?

"You know M.J's over for a week, she's the one I'm worried about. She'll over-react, she'll get mad. I can't have that."

Suddenly, she caught my attention? What would I be worried about? Honestly, I wasn't interested in drama at such a late time of night, so I decided I'd confront her tomorrow. Right now, I wanted to be some place calm. So, I headed down the hallway to the fold-out ladder leading to the roof of the house. I longed for some fresh air to clear my mind. But when I reached there, I realized I wasn't alone.

Kade was sitting with his back rested against the chimney and a guitar in his lap. He was playing a smooth and quiet tune, humming silently to himself. He was wearing a brown leather jacket, and I felt cold all of a sudden.

"Kade?" I gasped.

He nearly jumped up, shocked. "M.J? What are you doing here?" He was genuinely surprised.

"I could ask the same of you." I replied.

Kade sighed. "I'm...just trying to get away from...ugh. You wouldn't get it."

I raised an eyebrow. "Try me."

"I remember just yesterday you wanted nothing to do with me. Now all of a sudden you care?" He asked, strumming lightly on his guitar.

"I remember just yesterday you were listening to loud hip-hop/rap songs and keeping up the whole house. Now all of a sudden you have a guitar and are playing soft songs on your roof?"

He hesitated for moment before speaking. "Fine. But whatever I say stays between us, got it?"

I nod slowly, sliding down beside him. "Of course, Kade. I might not like you, but I respect your privacy."

"Okay," he takes a deep breath and starts. "Ever since my mother died and my dad got married, he's been giving all his attention to Helen. I know I might come off as I guy who likes to have the spotlight, but it's more than that. He sometimes forgets things that he's supposed to do with me because he's doing something with Helen. And when he remembers, he usually cancels it for another darn outing with Helen. Look, Helen's a great woman and all, and the problems not her at all. It's my dad. I just feel so alone."

I placed a hand on his shoulder. "No, Kade. You are not alone."

Kade looked up at the stars and whispered something.

"Are you talking to your mum?" I asked.

He looked back at he, eyes wide. "H-How did you....?"

"My father died too, in a car crash on the way back from a business trip. I talk to him with the stars, too." I explained. "I don't know why, there's something special about the stars. I'm not sure exactly what they are, but they're there for a reason, I'm sure."

"Your father died too?" He looked at me with eyes of sympathy, and I almost didn't recognize this Kade. I nodded. "I just couldn't imagine losing my father, now that he's the closest person in my life, but I feel like I've already lost him. To Helen." Kade strummed the guitar and started humming again. But when I listened closely, I realized he was singing.

"Can I hear you sing?" I asked.

"Are you serious?" He chuckled. "Your ears will bleed."

"I won't press charges, don't worry." I joked.

He sighed and started singing passionately. When he finished, I clapped. "That was awesome, Kade!"

He smiled slightly. "Thank you. I call it: 'I'll Be Home One Day'."

"Wait a second," I stopped him, "you wrote this song?"

He nodded. "The lyrics sucks, I know."

I supported my head with the tips of my fingers. "Kade, stop. You have some real talent, okay? You need to get yourself out there."

"That's very sweet of you to say. Thank you."

"No, Kade, you can't hair brush this off with a 'thank you'. You need to record this." I exclaimed.

"M.J, I-" He said before I cut him off.

"Promise me you will. Promise me."

He sighed. "Okay, fine.

I promise."