twenty-three

In the morning, I came running downstairs to get Kade out of my house before my mother woke up. Surprisingly, he was already gone. Guess he must have left before even I woke up.

I made myself a bowl of cereal and brushed my teeth before returning to the living room. Angrily, I picked up the wrinkled blanket and began to fold it in my arms. He could've at least had the courtesy of folding a simple blanket before running off, but no. Who am I kidding, it's Kade.

Suddenly the phone started to ring, so I ran into the kitchen to answer it.

"Hello?"

"M.J? Is that you? It's Ellis' mum calling." Her voice was shaky and she spoke quickly, as if she were out of breath.

"Yes, how can I help you?"

"Kade. He's...he's missing. We haven't seen him since dinner yesterday evening."

I gasped. Kade's missing? "He showed up at my house last night, he was drunk. He was in no condition to walk back home, so I let him spend the night. This morning when I woke up, he was gone."

Helen was taken aback. "He was drunk?!"

"I-I don't know why, or how, but I know for sure that he was drunk." I sighed, running frantically around the room, desperate to find something that might help us figure out where Kade went.

"This isn't like him," Helen muttered, but then spoke up. "Thank you for telling me this, and if you find anything else, don't hesitate to call me."

"Alright," I agreed. "I just hope he's okay."

"I hope so too. Now I'd better go, but thanks again M.J."

"You're welcome." I replied, just as Helen disconnected. I turned off the phone, placed it back in its charger and headed out for work.

______________________________________

"So Peter," I started, and Peter turned his head toward me. "I was given a list of three simple questions, and I want you to write down the answers in your notebook. Can you do that for me?"

Peter nodded nonchalantly, grabbing his notebook and pen and appeared to be readying himself to write.

"Okay, you ready?"

He grinned.

"Alright, first question. According to you, what happened during your accident?"

Peter started writing, staring intently at the paper. When he looked up and made eye-contact, I assumed he was finished.

"Next question. Can you describe your family to me?"

Peter shook his head, and then wrote down something quickly into his notebook.

"And the last question. Where do you come from?"

Peter paused for a long moment as if thinking, and then scribbled something down. But he seemed...confused.

"Alright, that's it. Can I see the paper?" I asked. He shook as if I had startled him, but ripped off the paper and handed it to me.

 He shook as if I had startled him, but ripped off the paper and handed it to me

"You don't know where you belong?" I asked him. He shook his head. "Me neither. But I do know one thing about you for sure."

And when his eyes locked in mine, they twinkled for a moment as he gave me a look as if to ask; "Why?"

"You're Lost. All you need to do, is be found again. And you will,

I'll make sure of it."