thirteen

Before I start the chapter I'd just like to say that so many people are voting and commenting nice things on Lost Boy, it makes me feel really happy! Please know that I ❤️‍ you all sooooo much, and I appreciate the time you take to write all the comments, vote and even read this story!

And for those of you who are missing Peter [*cough* *cough* zee-mysterious  *cough* *cough*] please note that you'll see him real soon and I have lots of plans and ideas for when M.J returns!!

***

"Thanks for having me over, Mrs. Darling! I had a great time!" Leo said, standing behind the door frame.

"You can visit us anytime, Leo. We'll be in Grady's Grove for another week." Mum replied. Leo smiled, nodded and left.

Me and Mum returned inside and sat on the couch for a while.

"So," said Mum, "sounds like you've had quite a day."

I lay down on the couch, resting my head in her lap and shook my head. "I've had enough of Grady's Grove. I thought after seeing the house and the beach that I'd have a great time, but after nearly drowning, I'm not too sure anymore. I wanna go home, mum."

Mum sighed, and I felt my head rise and fall to the rhythm of her breathing. "This isn't about the downing, is it?" And she gently placed a hand on my forehead. "Don't worry, I miss him too."

***

The next day, Mum and I decided to spend some quality mother-daughter time. So in the afternoon, we headed out to a restaurant to have lunch.

A waitress wearing a jean-jacket, doughnut leggings and several colorful streaks in her hair approached us. "Welcome to Amelia's Eatery! My name's Lindy, table for two?" Mum nodded. "Follow me." She lead us to a small round table in the corner of the restaurant by a window and a booth. "Here you are." And as we sat, she placed menus on the table and left.

"Alright," I sighed, opening up the menu. "Let's see what they have here."

Mum pointed at a dish in the Soups section

Mum pointed at a dish in the Soups section. "I think I'll get a Creamy Chicken soup."

My mouth watered at the thought. "I think I'll get one too."

"What about for drinks?" Asked Mum.

I examined the Beverages section of the menu and replied, "I would get the Tutti Frutti Smoothi, but it's quite expensive, so I'll settle for just water."

Mum nodded. "Me too."

Lindy, our waitress arrived moments later asking for our order. Mum and I exchanged glances.

"We'll have two Creamy Chicken soups." I told her.

"And anything for drinks?""

"Just water." Mum added.

Lindy nodded and disappeared behind the STAFF ONLY room.

"So...." Mum started, "let's talk."

I groaned. "Why do all of our conversations start with 'so....'?"

Mum laughed, "I'm not too sure, love."

"What did you want to talk about?"

"I dunno," answered Mum, "I guess it's more what you want to talk about at this point."

"What do you mean?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow. By her tone, it was obvious she was hinting something. I just couldn't guess what.

"In terms of staying in Grady's Grove?"

"Mum, I thought I made it clear I hate this place."

"Well, your grandmother did invite us to look after her house while it's gone. She trusts her own relatives more than housekeepers, which is understandable, considering the size of her house. And we did already promise to her that we would." Mum reminded.

I pressed my head against the table. "Then I don't know what to do."

Mum placed a hand on my back. "I'll tell you what." And I looked up. "How about I drive you back home and you stay with a friend until I return home?"

"You...wouldn't mind?"

"Not at all! I have a few friends here in Grady's Grove, so don't worry about me being alone. I'll give Ellis's mum a call this evening to ask if she'd be alright with this, okay love?"

And I hugged her. "Okay."

Soon, Lindy returned with our soups and drinks. She placed the soups down in front of us, and a glass of water to my mum. Then, she placed a strangely colorful drink in front of me. "A water for you, and a tutti frutti smoothi for you."

She was just about to walk away when I stopped her. "Excuse me, but I didn't order this."

Lindy giggled, "you didn't, but he did." And pointed a booth away from us, where a guy and his friends were sat. He look an awful lot like....oh god. Leo? "Oh, and there's a note, too." She gave me a secretive wink and left. I took a look at the drink and noticed a small piece of paper taped to it.

Mum smiled. "Go ahead, open it." I tore off the tape and unfolded the paper.

It read:

"He...wants me to stay?"