twenty-two

Everyone was gathered in the living room, including Leo, Mum and Ellis' parents who just got back from their trip.

"So," Ellis' mum said to Leo as she took a seat on he couch. "You're gonna work at the pool in town?"

Leo nodded. "Yes ma'am."

"Where are you going to stay?" She asked.

"Well, I did find some nice apartments for sale, they're cheap and they'll do." He smiled.

"We do have another guest room next to Ellis," Helen offered as Ellis slapped her hand against her forehead. "You're welcome to stay here as long as you need until you get back on your feet."

"Hey, hey, hey," Kade interrupted. "This house isn't Hotel California."

"Kade." Graham snapped. "Any friend of M.J's is a friend of ours. Don't be rude."

Kade rolled his eyes and looked away. I guess Leo knew quite well how Kade wasn't his biggest fan, but despite it all, he still smiles cheerily and continues his day with optimism. I guess that's something I admire in Leo.

"That's very kind of you ma'am, but if Kade is not comfortable with me here, then I see no reason to stay. I wouldn't want him to feel uncomfortable in his own home." Leo said. And if I didn't know how Leo's mind worked, I would've believed his words were genuine.

"No, no, Kade has no problem at all," Graham told Leo, and then turned to Kade. "Isn't that right, Kade?"

"Whatever."

_________________________________________

So next thing you know, Leo moved in with Ellis' family, just as I moved out. Ellis was bummed that she now had two guys to worry about, now. I felt

"....And the worst part of all is that his room is next to mine! Now I know what you mean when you had your room next to Kade's. This sucks." Ellis said over the phone. "I wish you were still here."

"Me too," I sighed. Then when I checked the time, I gasped. "Shoot! I have work!"

"I'll talk to you later, then."

"Okay, bye." And I hung up, dashing out of my room, grabbing my coat and running all the way to the hospital.

_________________________________________

"Sorry I'm late," I said to Peter, who shrugged and smiled. "You seem happy."

He nodded and grabbed his new notebook and pen, writing something down and showing it to me.

I laughed. "Peter, I'll always be here, you know that."

He nodded.

Just then, Anya entered the room.

"So, I've been meaning to talk to you." Anya said suddenly from the doorframe.

I turned to her nervously, realizing that's exactly what she said in my dream. "Yes?"

"Well," she walked in and shut the door, "two things, actually. But I'd prefer if we spoke in my office." I nodded and stood up from my stool nervously, realizing that's exactly what she said in my dream.

I then turned to Peter. "I'll be right back." He nodded back sadly. Just like in my dream.

So I left the room, following Anya to her office. "Okay, what's up." Just then I realized exactly what she was going to say. The dream was a warning!

"Well...the staff had a meeting. We were talking about Peter and decided it would be a good idea to send him to―"

"No!" I yelled. "You can't send him to a school for mute!"

Anya raised an eyebrow. "That's not at all what I was going to say."

"Really?"

"But you were close. We wanted to enroll him in the same public school that you go to. There, he'll learn to mix with other kids his age, and he'll feel like he's no less than any other kid. He'll feel included."

I sighed in relief. "Thank god."

Anya laughed. "Yeah. He starts next week."

"That's awesome!" I exclaimed. "I can't wait to see him go to school!"

"Me too."

_________________________________________

That night, I tried to sleep, but something kept hitting my window. I tried to pretend it was hail, but the fact that it was summer didn't help much. Eventually, I peered over to take a look, nearly jumping in surprise.

"Kade? What the hell are you doing here?" I gasped.

"Mary-Jane! I never reali....realized how beauuuutiful you are!" He slurred loudly, and I noticed a glass bottle shimmering in his hand from under the streetlight.

"Kade? Are you drunk?" I exclaimed, cupping my mouth with my hand in surprise.

"No! " He denied, swaying his body and losing balance, dropping the glass bottle. It shattered into many pieces on the street.

"Why are you here?" I demanded. "You should be at home!"

"I came to see you!" He laughed. "To tell you that....."

"That?"

"To....tell....you......" I could tell Kade was very tired, because his eyes were drooping and he was yawning as well.

I ran down the stairs and outside, bringing him in and laying him on the couch in the living room. "You can sleep here for the night. I don't think you're in any condition to walk home by yourself, and it's too late for me to walk you. But you can stay here for the night, as long as you go right home first thing in the morning, okay?"

But by the time I finished talking, he had already fallen fast asleep. I guess I didn't realize how tired I was as well, because

I did too.