Chapter forty one: Roots instead of feet.

"Well that was a complete bust." Ryland sighed as we pulled up to my house.

"Yeah, but at least I know he has my back if I need anything." I shrugged and climbed out of the car before leaning against the window.

"Try Benito tomorrow?" He asked and I nodded. "Will you be able to go out again?"

"I mean. My mom works during the day so if we leave in the morning then yea. I'm sure I can convince my mom for the night too and we can get Arrington done too." I said and he nodded.

"I'll pick you up at twelve?" He said and I nodded. "Okay, bye!"

"Bye!" I waved then made my way back inside. It seemed as if everyone was in the exact same place.

"You're home early." Mom said as I dodged the living room and turned into the kitchen.

"Yeah. Are they all sleeping over or something?" I asked and she nodded.

"Jude asked if it was okay. Is that a problem?" She cocked and eyebrow. I shook my head no. "Okay, I'm going to bed. I love you." She kissed my forehead before grabbing her cup of tea and walking into her room. Not even a minute later, Asher walked in and pressed me against the counter.

"Where have you been all night?" He grumbled and pulled me into a hug before kissing my forehead.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and sighed, "I was with Ryland."

"Doing what? I know you guys didn't go to a movie. What's going on, Noah?" He sighed tucking my hair behind my ear.

God he's adorable.

"Nothing, everything's fine." I said softly.

"Who's Escobar? The guy you were on the phone with earlier?"

I rolled my eyes and backed away to the fridge, "A friend."

Jude, Will, Rhiannon and Blake walked in a moment later.

"How come we've never heard of this friend." Rhiannon said in a salty tone. She gets so jealous over my other friends it's great. When she finally started accepting Jude into the small knit group we created, along came Will.

"Because I met him today when I was out." I shrugged nonchalantly.

"Okay but why were you two talking about some of the most dangerous men in the city. And someone died? Who the hell is Gavin? And what friend was shot?" They all began firing questions out at me.

"Guys!" Rhiannon barked out and came to my side. "Leave her the hell alone." She swung an arm around my shoulder.

"Thank you, Rhiannon." I grumbled and hugged her arm.

"So. What are we going tomorrow friend?" She asked chirpily.

My mouth gaped. "I have to go to this thing with Ryland."

Everyone looked ticked off. "Can I come?" Literally everyone in the room chorused.

"It's more of a...two person thing." I said slowly, "But I'll be back by dinner. Then I have this thing to go to...yea I'm busy all day tomorrow."

As if on cue, my phone began ringing. It was behind Asher on the counter. I froze as his eyes scanned the name.

His jaw clenched and he tossed the phone in my hands with a glare. I read the name; Jace Storms.

I sighed as he walked out of the room, "Asher." I called out after him and walked outside to where he was. "Asher I have no clue as to why he's calling me."

"Think of it from my point of view, Noah. My girlfriend disappears for an entire day then comes home covered in blood, saying she's fine. Then we hear her on the phone saying her friend got shot and now she's chasing down all these dangerous men for god knows what reason and she's running around with this strange guy in the middle of the night and now my brother, who she slept with by the way, is calling her at one in the morning? What the fuck am I supposed to think, Noah?" He exasperated in annoyance.

I bit my lip, "Asher I-I can't tell you..."

If I tell him, there's a chance he could get hurt. I don't want to risk anything at all.

"We've only been together for two fucking days and I already can't trust you." He stated.

"Asher you don't get it I-"

"No. Until you figure whatever the hell all this is. I'm done. This isn't going to work." He threw his hands up and backed up.

"Asher." My voice broke as he walked away, over to his car.

"Asher? Where are you going bro?" Damien walked out and called after him.

"Home." He deadpanned. "You coming or no?"

He and Blake gave me a once over before they nodded and ran over to the car. I saw them climb in, and drive off.

"Noah? Noah what's wrong?" Rhiannon asked me as she ran outside and wrapped her arms around me. "Why're you crying?"

I cracked and told her everything, down to why I couldn't tell Asher. She sat stunned, just like Ryland did.

"Why didn't you just tell us?" She asked as we sat against the side of my garage.

"I didn't want you guys to get hurt. And besides, this has nothing to do with the diavolos or mayhem. Why get them involved?" I wiped my tears with the pads of my thumbs.

"Makes sense." She said with a nice. She let out a sigh, "How the hell did we end up mixed in all this?"

"It's not our faults." I stated and looked up at the stars. "I think I'm going to drop out. Travel. After all this is done."

She sat up, "What?"

I nodded, "Yeah. I think I'm going to get my GED and then just- leave. I mean, I have nothing here. Besides you and my family. And they'll be supportive. I just, I'm not going to be able to thrive and be who I want to be, if I'm here. You know?"

"Yeah. I'm one hundred percent behind you on this. And besides, you're an adult so you can legally do whatever you want."

"Exactly." I stated growing exciting. "I mean, if we were meant to stay in one place, we would have roots instead of feet."

"Where do you think you're going to go?" She asked curiously and I sighed.

"I've always wanted to travel Asia, and Europe." I admitted and she cocked an eyebrow. I nodded, "China, Japan, India, Germany, Italy, France, Sweden, Latvia, Greece, the United Kingdom- I mean the possibilities are endless."

"Sometimes the most beautiful things in life exist within the unknown. They remain discrete, unseen, and often unnoticed. So take your courage, and allow for it to accompany you into this unknown. Travel to the unchartered lands of your life, and discover this beauty that exists." She said wisely. "There's just one problem."

"Money." I finished and she nodded sadly. "I mean, I'm sure I can get some money from my dad, and then just do little jobs as I travel, and pay him back."

She nodded, "Do it. You deserve to be happy for once. Do something for you."

I let out a breath with a smile, "I'm going to travel the world."

She grabbed my hand, "You're going to travel the world."

We both smiled then laughed and began to rant and talk about the endless possibilities. It almost made me forget about everything with Asher, and the craziness of my life.

Almost.