Chapter 1 - Nisha

The fresh smell of tea leaves and cinnamon filled my nostrils as Aunt Aadhya  made her special tea and biscuits.

"NIsha, you should know that these biscuits are not only tasty, but also healthy" Advised Aunt Aadhya as she handed a biscuit to me.

My first bite was an explosion of wonderful aromas and textures.

She  is truly an amazing cook.

"Aunty, I wish I could cook like you" I complimented brightly

"We all know your mother is a better cook " She says pouring a hot cup of tea.

I liked being at her house. Uncle Samar and Aunt Aadhya  aren't blood relatives, but they have been friends with my parents since forever, so we often stay over at their mansion like home in the summers. With 5 bedrooms, a large courtyard, acres full of green grass and tropical flowers, and most importantly the gorgeous architecture, their home was truly a beautiful place.

Their son, Siddharth, however is nothing but a nuisance. His age of 27 didn't brush on his maturity, as he is nothing but an annoying and spoiled only child. From lush clothes and numerous expensive cars, he's got everything.Siddharth is the type of guy who would always think that because he's 'richer' or 'older' he's better, or smarter than you. His remarks and sarcastic lines are thought of as 'comedic' no matter how rude they are. Everybody loves him. Well....everybody but me. I have no idea when this feud started, but ever since we've crossed paths, we've been a pair of fighting animals. It's no secret that I hate him and he hates me.

The mouth-watering flavours of the samoa lingered in my mouth as I took a bite.

"Mmm. This is really good" I managed to say with my mouth half full

My mother passes me a disapproving look

"Nisha, you mustn't speak with your mouth so full. It's impolite" She scolds

I love my mother, but when it come to our behaviour we are on two different ends. Prim and proper would be two worlds I could use to describe my mother. We aren't the richest of families, but that doesn't stop my mom's high maintenance. Being the oldest out of two, my mum has large expectations for me, which at time, I fail to do.  My mother has always wanted me to be the best I could be, from school, to college, to work. In terms of my job, I have succeeded mums dreams. I'm a teacher. It isn't a wealthy job, but it's enough for me and my family. I enjoy teaching. It's my passion.

"Nisha.... Stop chewing so loud" Complained Elsy, my little sister

I refused to accept her complaint, as I was not chewing loudly, she just happens to be very particular.

" Yeah I agree with Elsy" Backs up Sidharth, who's sitting a mile away from us.

Not wanting to create an argument, I ignored his comment and continue eating my plate of samosas.

"No reply..fine" He says stroking his hair.

"Oh Nisha, don't be so bitter, child" Mother advises

"Mum.. SIdharth is just being a ..." I say but pause as I realise that Aunt Aadhya's presence

" a.....? What were you gonna say Nisha?" Asks SIddharth in a teasing manner with a rude smirk on his face

"Nothing " I mumble.

I felt so annoyed at SIdharth, it's like he's always trying to point out my flaws. My friends say stuff that all the time, but the jokish way they say it makes it okay. But with SIdharth, I can see his hate towards me.

"Hey, I actually think this would be a good time to tell you all something" Says Sidharth clearing his throat.

What was it now?

"Alia, my fiance from the states is thinking of coming back here for a while..' Sidharth begins

"Ooh! Thats nice, I can't wait to meet Alia again" Cheered Uncle Samar

I had no idea Sidharth was engaged, expecally not to a girl from the USA. I guess for someone with Sidharths looks and so called 'popularity' it was no surprise that he had a girlfriend. I just hope she isn't as arrogant as him

"Wel.. We've been engaged for a while now, as you know. Aila and I were thinking of taking this bond to the next level." He states with confidence

"Marriage?" Questions Uncle Sharma

I watch SIdharth nod and begin talking about how Aila and him have such a 'strong' relationship and all that.I highly doubt that he'll be a good husband, largely due to his arrogance. My mother asks him the question we've all been wanting to know. Is she American or Indian.

"Her parents are indian, but Alia is American" States Siddharth with confidence as it he's said the most intelligent best thing

I was desperate to backfire him, stating that she is Indian by blood, but I stopped myself.

"She's so....modern and all compared to Indian chics. I mean, Indian girls are so stuck up at times. Can't they have fun?" Siddharth asks glaring straight at me as he is aiming that comment at me

"Sidharth.." hushes Aunt Aadhya 

" Well...Mum.. not all Indian girls. Just some..you can clearly tell by looking at them" Sidharth smirks stirring my internal rage.

"Well.....Maybe us Indian girls focus on intelligence and character more than looks" I say

SIddharth rolls his eyes with a smile that makes me want to punch his face.Kudos to him as he achieved what he wanted; make me seem like the bad one.

"Nisha, don't pick fights okay" Scolds father as we wait in line for drinks.

It was no point explaining this to my parents. I know they'll side with SIdharth, due to his overwhelming kindness to them. SIdharth is nothing but fake. I just pray that the next few months go well.