Chapter 19 - Armit

"You must be Mrs.Siddharth?" I hear a voice

I turn backwards to see a man stand before me. He  had a badge clipped onto his shirt which read 'Mr A.Vismay'. He must be the teacher who I'd be working alongside. 

I look around the beige colored classroom. My eyes are instantly drawn to the royal blue dolphin silhouette  on the left side of the classroom. Filled with extraordinary paintings and sketches of marine life, it is a beauty to look at. Nestled below the drawings,is a small modular shelf, filled with - from fairytales to comics, fiction to nonfiction and more. A leafy green plant hatches its vines onto the whiteboard, which has today's activities written on it. Framing the whiteboard,  are breathtaking golden fairy lights, which weave themselves around the vast whiteboard. Across the whiteboard, lies a old-fashioned clock, with it's long brown fingers ticking every second. Through the windows, I admire the beautiful pine trees and apple trees lined up in the school garden. If you just close your eyes, you can almost envision the smiles of joyous children playing in this classroom.  

I take a moment to breathe in the crisp scent of lavender lingering in the room. The soft  fragrance gives this classroom a sensational warm and welcoming feeling. I peer around the room one last time,admiring the beauty created by the work of young hands.

"Mrs Siddharth? Don't look so stunned" He laughs

"Sorry. I-I'm new. I mean, I'm your assistant teacher.The principal um..told me to come here" I stammer.

"Well, I've been expecting you. Nice to meet you. I'm Armit" He says shaking my hands

"Nice to meet you too" I gush

"So, Mrs. Siddharth. Welcome! I have a class of 9 & 10 year olds. They are a lousy bunch and they'll surely get in your hair. They won't give you a minute to rest ! I don't know how I've dealt with them for this long" He sighs crossing his arms.

"Oh. I wasn't expecting them to be that bad...." I mutter

"I'm just messing you! Don't look so serious!" He laughs nudging my arm

"Oh thank God" I say 

"So...Nisha.. I'll introduce you to the class when they return back from interval. I can fill you up on the work they are doing and stuff as the day goes on" He says getting some files from his desk

"One more thing" I interupt as he begins drinking his coffee

"What is it?" He questions

"Um..Actually I'd prefer to be called Ms.Anand " I say nervously twisting my saree

Armit looks confused, but thankfully dosen't ask why. Of course he'd be curious, but I am not keen on talking about my relationship on my very first day of work here - mainly with someone I've never met before.

Before I know it, students buzz in with beaming smiles

Armit gives the students a short intro about me, and they are given a chance to ask me some questions. Most of them asked stupidly cute questions, like my what superpower I'd like to have, and my favorite Disney princess.  After that, they continued working on their science projects about marine life - which Armit says they love. The students were all beaming with bright smiles during the whole day - with some occasionally coming up to me and asking questions. I was initially worried about how I would get along with students from the States, but turns out they are just as cooperative and sweet as my students back in India.  

At lunch break, I got a chance to get to know Armit better. He was from Mumbai, just like the principal said. However, he claims to know a pinch of Tamil from the few tamil movies he's seen.