The Engagement Part One

Keerthi's parents had arrived from India last week. Siddharth went alongside Keerthi to pick them up from the airport. I could not accompany them due to stomach pains. Aunt Aadhya told me not to worry about these kinda pains, as they are common during pregnancy.  

Keerthi's parents paid a visit to our house once, and talked to Aunt Aadhya about wedding preparations.  Keerthi's parents are super close to Aunt Aadhya and Uncle Samar, and see them as a older brother and sister.  They never make any decisions without their consent. Having got to know Mukul for around a month or so, Aunt Aadhya assured Keerthi's parents that he was a perfect match for Keerthi, making them accept the alliance. 

As per Desi tradition, Keerthi's parents suggested that we throw a huge engagement party for the newly engaged couple. Siddharth is in charge of organising the grand occasion, which will have over 500 guests. 

All this party stuff is new to me. Being from a middle class family, my family never had any lavish parties. The most we had ever done is a small house celebration for Esly and my birthday. 

Ever since the engagement, I've been getting calls every day from Keerthi, talking about how much she loves Mukul and how she can't wait to wed him.

As the days drew closer to this lavish engagement, I could see Siddharth grow more and more stressful. Ever since I broke down at the actual engagement,  Siddharth has been extra cautious of me. By that I mean he's giving me more space and distancing himself. I want to go talk to him, and truly express how I am feeling, but Siddharth has been so busy I haven't got any time to speak to him

I just wish he understood that I just need a bit of time to process everything,  and that I don't want him to distance himself in fear of upsetting me. 

"Nisha!" Keerthi calls from across the store 

She was wearing a pretty brown and beige saree, filled with lavish embroidery.

"Wow....you look spectacular" I say

"I really like this. I might actually go through with it" She says with a beaming face

"You should. The colours match you perfectly" I say 

Keerthi truly looked amazing in that saree. It was perfect for her engagement celebration. 

/Keerthi's saree below /

"Let me call Mukul. I'll see what he thinks of it" Keerthi says dialing his number

Mukul immediately picks up, and Keerthi puts herself on video chat

"So...Mukul. what do you think?" She asks with joy

"Um....I think it's a bit old fashioned" He says

"Oh really..." She sighs looking down athe her saree

Crap.

I was really hoping she'd go with it, it truly looks amazing on her