Chapter 2

Ten years later...

The wind felt different, it felt heavy. So unlike I felt with him.

"Come on!" I yelled at the car in front of me. "It's yellow! Yellow means you can go! Go!" The red Toyota crossed the intersection a second before the light turned red. "Dumbass! Hurry up and turn light, I'm gonna be late!" I quickly hit the gas of my Dodge Challenger and sped off once the light turned green.

I hit three more red lights before I pulled up in front of my work building. I turned off the car and grabbed my keys and briefcase before running into the building, which was hard to do in two inch black heels. I shoved open the door and ran into the building.

"Sorry!" I shouted back at a man I bumped into. I ran up a flight of stairs and quickly flung my stuff onto my desk before entering the conference room.

"Roselyn, so glad you could join us," a sarcastic voice greeted. I looked up panting. A woman in her mid twenties with brown hair and hazel eyes sat at the front of the room. Beside her sat a girl, who looked about my age which is twenty eight, had short blonde hair and seemed a little surprised by my sudden entrance.

"Hi, I'm so sorry I'm late. Traffic," I told her and took my place across the table from her.

"Oh don't worry about it. I got here just a few minutes ago," she smiled, her blue eyes crinkling at the sides.

"Okay, so Amy," Mary, my boss, said to the girl. "This is Roselyn Jones, she's one of our best wedding planners, she'll be doing your wedding." Mary stood, "So I'll leave you to it." Mary quickly slipped out of the room, leaving me to handle the prepping myself. I feel a catch coming on.

I opened my notebook and clicked my pen. "Okay, so let's start simple, what day are you looking at doing right now?"

"Oh, um. Can you get it done by the end of the month?" She asked.

Okay, so that gives me a little more than three weeks. It was June first and the warm air has just begun to blow in. "Yeah that's more than enough time."

Amy looked confused, "She didn't tell you did she?"

"Who didn't tell me what?" I asked.

"Mary, she said she asked you," Amy answered.

I set my pen down, "Amy, about what, exactly?"

"Where the wedding is being staged," she answered.

"Oh, I can find a place for you," I told her, my heartbeat returning to normal.

"That's not it. Um, I asked Mary's sister, who's a close friend of mine, and Mary's sister asked her, and Mary said you could do it," Amy answered.

"Do what?"

"Do the wedding in Portland," Amy answered.

My eye twitched, "P-Portland? As in Portland, Oregon? That Portland?" Amy nodded. "Oh. Well, I g-guess that would be alright."

"Wonderful!" Amy exclaimed.

I put on my best fake smile. I grabbed a sheet of paper from inside my binder. "Could you fill this out? It would help me very much." Amy nodded. "I have to go talk to one of my colleagues real quick, I'll be back in a moment."

I quickly slipped out of the room and stalked to Mary's office. I slammed the door behind me. "Hey Rose. Oh, hi Mary. By the way, this new client wants to put on the wedding in Portland, where she lives. Oh, Portland? Like Portland, Oregon!" I shouted.

"Rose stop over reacting. Just hear me out okay. You're confined here. You can't reach you full potential if every client you have wants a traditional wedding. Going to Oregon could help you get a new perspective," Mary answered. "It's been almost nine years and you still walk with your head down and a rain cloud over your head." Mary has known me since we met in middle school, even though she is more than a year older than me.

"I have an umbrella," I said sarcastically.

"Yeah, well the sun gonna shine one day and then all going to have is a shadow," she told me.

"And that sun is Portland, my childhood home. The same place he cheated on me!" I said.

"A new perspective. Go there with your head held high and show him," Mary stood and walked over to me. "And show him, he didn't leave you on the ground. Show him you came back stronger, make him sorry."

My eyes became blurry, "Do you really think this could help?"

"Absolutely." And two days later, I was on the next plane to Portland.