Chapter 10

The starry skies became brighter, finally shining the way back home.

"These," I told him, motioning to the pack, "Are the Banes."

"Wow," Drake breathed, watching the wolves who slowly came closer.

Drake turned towards me, confusion etched onto his face. "Did you name them?"

I chuckled. "No," I said. I stood, brushing the grass off of my pants. "The naming of a pack is a sacred duty. Usually, the pack gets named when it is formed. The Alpha is the only one who gets to choose, well, him or her, and their mate."

"So did he choose the name?" Drake asked, eyeing the dog at my feet.

"Not quite. His great-grandfather chose the name. Once he died, his son took the pack, and his son, and finally Aiden took the pack just before I left."

Drake nodded. "How do know all this?"

"Well, my pack, which was my parents and me, worked exactly like a regular wolf pack. They taught me all this, it was more important than school. It's my history."

He looked at me sadly. "What was your pack called?"

I ruffled his hair. "Not was. Never was. Is, and always will be the Nightshade pack. I don't have anyone that is my kind, but I will always have a pack. You're my pack, your mom's my pack, Stephen is my pack, and as much as I hate it, Jackson is my pack. No matter what happens, you guys will always be in my pack. And one day, if I don't have kids of my own, you'll be the next Alpha."

"Wha...?"

"Can you do that for me?" I interrupted. "For me?"

Drake nodded. "For you, anything."

I grinned. Drake just shook his head, but a smile played on his lips.

"Good," I said. "Let's run with the wolves."