Chapter 7

I felt light as a bird, flying with the sky, instead of carrying it.

I laughed as Drake and I walked into the house. "You suck at driving!" I exclaimed.

"I'm not that bad!" Drake said, sitting in the couch next to Mom and Steve. Jackson and Amy sat in the couch across from them. I took my spot in front of Mom, sitting on the floor.

"What's he bad at?" Mom asked.

"Driving," I answered. "He's a lunatic on the road."

"You let him drive?" Steve chuckled.

"Yeah, big mistake," I replied, patting Drake on the leg. He swatted at my hand.

"I'm a good driver."

"No, you're not," Jackson said.

I looked down at my lap, realizing I got caught up in a fantasy. I smiled as Mom began playing with my hair, just like she use to.

"You've been taking care of your hair better," she said.

I looked up at her. "I learned from the best."

I got up a few minutes later. "I should get going, there's a lot to plan. And I told Becca I'd show her the dress."

Mom nodded sadly.

"What dress?" Amy asked curiously.

"Um." Red alert, red alert! "The one I tried on."

"Didn't he say that one wasn't for sale?" She asked again.

"It wasn't, it was my dress. He made it for me."

Amy stayed silent, but I could tell she was furious about god knows what.

"Anyway," I said, ending the awkward silence. "It was nice, getting to catch up. But, I'll get going, leave you to your... well, family business."

"Rose," Mom started.

"Honestly, I should get going." I looked to Drake, who sat there watching me sadly. "And hey," I whispered to him. "You don't have a car yet, do you?"

He shook his head, wondering why I brought it up.

"If you ask Lena to the dance, regardless of what she answers, you can take my car to the dance and have it after I leave."

Drake's eyes went wide. "Really?"

"Yeah." I shrugged my shoulders. "Shadow needs someone to take care of her."

"Shadow?" He asked, his eyebrows shot up.

"Yeah!" I nudged him in the shoulder. "It's called personification." He looked at me with a confused face. I gasped at him. "I guess your brother got all the poetic blood, didn't he?"

"Oh yeah. I can't create a verse if my life counted on it." He grinned.

I chuckled. "We'll have to work on that, Munchkin." I smiled at at the group, not looking at Jackson and Amy. "I'll get going."

I quickly exited to house and got into my car.

I took a deep breath, willing the tears not to fall

I took a deep breath, willing the tears not to fall. I started the car putting it into reverse.

"Wait!" A male voice yelled. I looked up shocked, and slowly put the car back into park.

"I have nothing to say to you, Jackson" I said, looking down at the steering wheel.

"What's wrong with you?"

My eyes teared up. "What?"

"That's not what I meant," he whispered. "You've barely said a word to me today."

"What do you want?" I asked again.

"I want to say I'm sorry," Jackson finally said.

"For what?"

"For ending thing so badly," he said.

My head snapped up and I found him standing at my car door. I sneered. "You cheated on me."

"I know," Jackson admitted. "And I should have told you sooner. We were drifting apart..."

I wasn't, I thought sadly. I loved you with all my heart.

"Amy and I, well, we kinda hit it off," he said. "I fell in love. Is that a crime?"

I swallowed a lump in my throat. "No," I said sarcastically. "It's not."

"Rose." He said putting his hand on my arm.

That was the last straw. "Get. Your. Hand. Off," I growled. "It's Roselyn. And get off of my car."

"Geez," Jackson said, stepping back. "What the hell is your problem? I just want to be friends."

I cackled. "Friends? You want us to be friends? You see, Jackson, that's my problem. As much as you want things to go back to how they were, before we started dating, just friends. It can't, and it never will be like that ever again. Hate to burst your bubble, Pretty Boy, but that line, the one after two people breakup and are still friends. You broke it; into two. It's unfixable. Sorry."

I put the car in reverse. "Oh, and tell Drake to stop by sometime." I sped off, tears finally dripping down my cheeks.