Chapter 9

The strong winds soon became a storm, but I found it easier to get through it when you're under the open sky.

"So," Drake asks. His dark hair flying everywhere. "Where are we going?"

"Out," I tell him. "Far away. Out, under the open sky, the stars glistening and the only sounds are the wind and the wolves."

"Wolves?" Drake wore a frightened expression.

"Let me tell you a story. Many years ago, there was a girl. This girl, her life was perfect. She had a boy who loved her and found the family she'd always longed for. But deep down, she felt like it was just a dream. One day, she drove for hours. Until she was far away from home and all you could see was trees.

She parked her car in the forest, and walked into the forest, into the unknown world. For let me tell you this. The place you live may feel like home, but there is always somewhere out there. Out in the open wild, where you won't find the fimiliar. It will scare you, confuse you. Just like the forest. But in that forest, was where the girl felt most at home. It's our worst fears that we take the most comfort in.

She wandered for hours, until she heard howls. A few yard infront of her was a pack of wolves. At first, the wolves felt threatened. But the girl, she sat down in the grass. Waiting for the wolves to make the first move.

The wolves soon saw her as a member of their pack. She found a place where every move she made wouldn't be watched. She could be herself. She ran with the wolves, and played with their young.

She became one of them and would visit them often. Usually for days, camping out in the forest with them. Than the girl left, and never saw the wolves or her family again." There were tears in my eyes. I quickly wiped them away.

Drake sucked in a breath. "That's where you were always disappearing."

I chuckled sadly. "Nobody would think that I was with wolves. Would they?"

Drake caught my hand, pulling me to a stop. I looked back at him, his eyes were filled with sadness.

"I would have," he whispered. "I would have believed you."

I swallowed and pulled him into a hug. I was so close to crying, but I willed myself not to. I'm done with tears, I told myself. No more crying.

"I know. But you were only eight."

 I began walking towards a little clearing in the forest

I began walking towards a little clearing in the forest. It was so peaceful out here, away from the busy highways and painful memories. The sun was shining overhead, painting the trees with gold.

Howls finally cut through the silence. I smiled, looking towards the sounds. I could see yellow orbs watching me from the shadows.

Drake gasped and made a move towards me as a wolf slowly walked towards me. I shook my head at Drake and smiled, looking back towards the wolf.

He was muscular and had pitch black fur, his eyes full of caution, yet curiosity. The wolf's eyes suddenly lit up and he howled slowly. The rest of his pack suddenly emerged from behind the trees.

I slowly kneeled in the grass, exposing my neck to the Alpha. He came closer sniffing my neck and slowly backed up, kneeling in front of me. The Alpha eventually sat on the grass, a whimper sounding in his muzzle. As if asking me if I was really the girl he once knew.

I smiled and looked towards Drake who stood there gaping.

"I never felt at home in the human world," I told him. I took a breath. "'Cause... I'm not human."

"Wha...?" He shook his head. "What do you mean you're not human?"

"I'm what's called a wolf shifter or wolfblood. At least that's what my parents called us. My family comes from a long line of wolfbloods."

"That's..." Drake started.

I cringed ready for the hatred.

"Totally awesome!" He finished. He ran towards me, causing the Alpha to growl, making Drake stop where he was standing.

I chuckled and shook my head, stroking the wolf's fur. "He's family." The Alpha understood, and sat back down at my feet.

"Can I?" Drake asked cautiously, eyeing the large dog sitting by my feet.

"Yeah." I waved him over. Drake slowly sat next to me. I stroked the Alpha's fur, making him purr. Yes, I said purr. "This is Aiden. He is the Alpha. And these..." I motioned to the pack. "Are the Banes."