Chapter 8

The wind were suddenly stronger, and I struggled to stay aloft.

"What the hell!" Drake shouted as Jackson entered the living room.

"Excuse me?" Jackson asked, confused. He plopped down next to Amy.

Drake jumped up. "I'm gonna kill you!"

His mom quickly pulled him back down onto the sofa, knowing that she was the only person he wouldn't fight against.

"What the heck is wrong with you?" Jackson exclaimed.

Drake laughed. "What's wrong with me? Do you remember what you promised me the day of your first date with Rose?"

Jackson went still.

"You promised that no matter what happened between you and Rose, that Rose and I would still be friends. Well what a surprise! Another lie. You're just full of shit, aren't you?"

"Drake," Mom said softly.

"No," Drake said. "You dated her for three years, she became a part of our family. A sister and a daughter. You told me that you two drifted apart. Your words are bullshit!"

"Drake!" Amy shouted.

"No! You shut the hell up!"

Amy gasped.

"That day," Drake continued. "You don't want to here about that day, do you?"

Jackson shook his head slowly, but that just made Drake smile.

"Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway." Drake began to pace, recalling the painful memory. "I was nine, correct? Knew her for three years, became like a sister to me. She use to pick me up every Friday from school, without a doubt. She'd be there every Friday. Until one day, she didn't come pick me up."

He paused. "I called Mom, from school. She rushed over. When I got in the car, she asked where Rose was. I said, 'I don't know. She always picks me up on Friday. Always, no matter what.' Mom rushed off towards the airport. Rose was there, just heading into the airplane. Rose looked at me and Mom, tears in her eyes. And do you know what she shouted to me. She shouted, 'It's not Jacky's fault, it's mine.' And she left, just like that."

Drake wiped his eyes. "I know Rose like the back of my hand. I could tell when she was lying. And when she told me it was her fault, she wasn't lying. She really believed that. I've always wondered why she left. And now I know. You cheater. She had to live with that pain, the pain that she felt that you cheating on her was somehow her fault!"

Jackson sighed. "It's not what you think. Rose and I, we were drifting apart," he lied.

Drake chuckled. "Oh, but you weren't. Now that I think about it. Ever since Rose started disappearing for days at a time, you thought she was cheating on you. You wanted to get back at her, didn't you? And when she left, you decided to stay with the next best thing, Amy."

"You don't know anything!" Jackson shouted. "I love Amy. Not Roselyn, not anymore."

"Yeah," Drake said. "I don't know anything. And I don't know you, not anymore."

"Drake," Mom started, tears in her eyes. Jackson sat there shocked.

"I want to go home," he whispered. "Please take me to Becca's."

Mom nodded, getting up. They left, leaving Jackson and Amy behind.

"Hey, Munchkin," I said, quickly masking my sorrow

"Hey, Munchkin," I said, quickly masking my sorrow. "What are you doing here?" Drake rushed into my arms. "Hey," I whispered. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," his voice cracked.

I sighed. Another person who needs to get away. "You wanna do something?" I ask him.

"Yeah," Drake breaths.

"I have just the thing," I tell him. I look over to Mom. "We'll be back late. I'll take him home." She nodded, giving me a quick squeeze and leaving.