Chapter 5

If the stars were darker, the sky would be black. I felt like the stars went out.

I knocked on Amy's door. It was already two o'clock. God, I thought. How fast one day goes past. I wondered why there was another car in the driveway, but didn't give it another thought.

I smiled as the door began to open, but my smile turned into a shocked expression. Amy was not the woman who greeted me, but instead stood Jackson's speechless mother.

"Roselyn," she breathed. Jackson's mom was basically like a second mother to me. She apologized so many times after she found out that Jackson was cheating on me. I told her that it wasn't her fault but I don't think she believed me.

"Hi, Mrs. O' Connor," I said.

"Rose," she said, tears coming to her eyes. "What have I told you about calling me that?" She ushered me inside.

I stood there, looking at her. "You don't look any different, Mom." After she found out that my mom had passed when I was eight, she told me that I could think of her as my new mom and could start calling her mom.

A year slipped from her eye. I wiped it away. "Now now," I said. "We are help plan a wedding, no crying."

A smile lit up her face. "You did it?" I nodded. Jackson's mom always told me I could become a famous wedding planner, it had always been my dream. Of course, I never believed her, but I did it. "I told you." She walked down the hall with me.

"So," I started. "How have you been?"

Mom sighed. "I'm getting through it. What about you?"

I smiled. "I'm getting there."

"Getting where?" She asked. I chuckled. I've always hated when she did that.

"To acceptance," I finally said before we got into kitchen.

There was a stunned silence that followed our entrance

There was a stunned silence that followed our entrance. I looked around the room. Amy, Jackson. And-

"Steve?" I gasped. He quickly got up and wrapped me in a hug.

"Hey there kiddo," his voice cracked.

"Hi, old man," I said. He chuckled.

"I am pretty old now, aren't I?" Steve said. I was super close to Jackson's entire family. I was the daughter they didn't have.

I pulled back. "You looked just as good as you did back than, younger even."

He laughed and sat down. A boy at the end of the table stood abruptly. He had short black hair and green eyes, not as green as Jackson's, but still, they were beautiful. I didn't recognize his face. But his eyes, I knew those like the back of my hand.

They were the eyes that were happy when I use to pick him up from school. The eyes that I wiped tears from when he fell off the swings. The eyes, full of hurt at the airport, the day I left.

I slowly walked to him. "Hi, little munchkin," I said sadly.

"Hey, big flower," he said. Tears ran down his cheeks as he wrapped me in a hug.

"Hey." I rubbed his back. "I pick you up anymore, Drake." I could feel him smile.

He pulled back. "No, I guess not."

"You're in what, twelfth grade now?" I asked standing next to the chair he was sitting in.

"Yeah." He nodded.

I ruffled his hair, making him bat my hand away and grin. "Oooo, I bet there's a special girl." He blushed deep scarlet. "There is! What's her name?" He shook his head. "I'm gonna kiss you if you don't tell me." He shook his head again.

"Fine," I said. "You leave me no choice." I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and put my lips on his cheek, making exaggerated kissing sounds.

Steve and Mom started laughing when Drake started squirming under my lips.

"Fine, fine!" He yelled, giving up. I grinned and sat down in the chair next to him. He shook his head and kissed me on the cheek, grinning. My face must have shown how surprised I was, because Mom and Steve started laughing again.

"So?" I asked Drake. He leaned over and whispered the word, Lena, into my ear. "She must be something," I told Drake.

"No fair!" Someone shouted.

I looked over at Amy, who sat there gaping.

"I've been trying to get him to tell me for months," Amy whined. I sat there in silence, realizing that this wasn't the past, of my dream world.

I sighed. "Anyway," I whispered. "We have to get you stuff picked out."

Amy jumped out in excitement. "Well, let's go!"

"We have to take at least two cars," Steve told them.

"I call shotgun with Rosey!" Drake and his mom called at the same time.

I chuckled. "Who ever gets there first."

Drake got there first and started drooling over my car

Drake got there first and started drooling over my car. Mrs. O'Conno- Mom, blamed her old bones. Steve kissed her cheek and hopped into the back of my Challenger with her.

Once Drake, Mom, and Steve got their belts on, I started playing Paralyzed by Big Time Rush. I knew it was a kid's song, and really old, but I use to play it back when Drake was eight. It felt like an eternity ago that we were a family.

Drake chuckled, but started singing with me. I soon stopped singing, just wanting to hear Drake voice. His voice was beautiful, it was so serene, but sad. I knew why. A few songs passed by, no one sang.

Than, I started singing alone when Peter Pan by Kelsea Ballerini came on. It told my story. The story of a girl, falling for a guy, only for the guy to leave her in the end. It hurt me, more than words can describe. By the time the song finished, we were at the place.