Chapter 6

It's hard to hold up the sky, but the stars helped me.

I led the group into the shop. Becca had gotten us into a time slot quicker than I thought possible, but when we were sat down and told that our helper would be with us in a minute, I realized how Becca did it.

A tall man walked towards us. He had black and silver hair, and beautiful hazel eyes. I stood and smiled at him. When he saw me, his eyes almost popped out of his head.

"Hey, Alec," my voice breaking.

"Hey Doll," he said, wrapping me in his brotherly embrace. He let go, hugging Jackson, and his mom and dad. Alec fist bumped Drake and quickly shook hands with Amy. I didn't think that Alex had ever met Amy.

"So," I said. "You finally did something with that wicked fashion sense."

He chuckled. "Yeah."

"I told you," I said.

"So humble," he teased. "Anyway, Miss Bride-to-be..."

My heart fell to the floor, crashing into a million pieces.

"I've got your dress stashed in the back," he finished, looking at me expectantly.

"You made it?" I whispered.

He nodded. "I hoped you'd wear it one day."

"Maybe. One day," I breathed. "I'm not your customer today, just the wedding planner."

Alec's face fell. "What?"

I stared at the floor, willing the tears to disappear.

"This is Amy," Jackson quickly said. I stepped back, into Mom's arms. "My fiancée."

"Oh," Alec said slowly. "Congrats." He waved to someone behind us. "Maurice will get you two helped out." I didn't look up as Maurice came over. "I need to speak with Rose. Mrs. O'Connor, Mr. O' Connor, Drake, we'll be back in a few minutes."

"Okay," Mom said. She looked at me. I smiled and walked away from the group, Alec holding my hand and leading me into the back room.

"So, what are we doing back here?" I asked, running my hands over the white fabric

"So, what are we doing back here?" I asked, running my hands over the white fabric. I looked to Alec and gasped. In his hands, he held a lavender, lace dress.

I ran my hands over the fabric. "It's just like I imagined," I breathed.

"Try it on," Alec said, putting the dress in my hands. I gave Alec a look. "I just want to see it on you. And Jackson is a bastard."

I chuckled. "Okay."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

When I'd finally come out of the dressing room, asking Alec to zip up the back of the dress, he just stood there with a shocked expression on his face

"You look stunning," he finally said. I turned around, moving my hair out of the way so he could zip the dress.

"Thank you," I told him.

"It's the least I could do for my oldest friend," Alec said. I met Alec in second grade, I absolutely loved his drawing, of who knows what, but we were friends ever since than.

"I just wished you'd call more, or at least tell me about what happens with Jackass," he told me. I chuckled and hugged him. "Now," he said, shooing me towards the other room. "Go show that boy what he lost."

Jackson's mom gasped when she saw me, tears in her eyes

Jackson's mom gasped when she saw me, tears in her eyes. Everyone looked towards me.

"You look..." Mom started. "I don't even have the words."

"You look beautiful," Steve said.

I looked to Drake, who just sat there staring. "Drake?" I asked.

"You look like a girl," he said, using a fake disgusted voice.

I put a hand on my hip. "I am a girl," I said sarcastically.

"What!" He exclaimed. I laughed. "My life... has been a lie. I thought... you were my..." He paused, thinking about what to say. "Pet dog?"

"Pet dog?" I asked, doubling over laughing. "That's the best you got?"

"You look dazzling," Drake said sincerely. "Will you be my date to the prom? All the guys will be so jealous."

"Drake," Mom said with a stern voice.

"No." I smiled. "Oh munchkin. I'd love to, but I can't. You've gotta take Lena. If you really like her, ask her. Than, keep her close. And at Prom, you give her a night she won't forget. Make it yours." Drake nodded and gave me a hug.

"Thank you," he whispered.

"There's nothing to thank me for," I said. "I'll be there for you now. I promise, no matter what happens." He pulled away.

"Lavender," a voice said behind me. I went stiff, but turned around, locking eyes with Jackson.

"Yeah," I said. "It's my favorite color."

"I know," he replied.

"Wow," Amy said. She was standing next to him. "That's an amazing dress." She turned to Alec. "Do have it in white?"

"No, sorry. It's limited edition," Alex said, trying not to be rude. I could tell he was trying really hard. He didn't like Amy one bit.

"Do you have any more in lavender?" She asked.

Geez, I thought. What's her problem?

"Sorry," Alec said again. "There's only one in the world. And it's not for sale."

"Oh," Amy said sadly.

I mentally kicked myself for being happy that she couldn't have my dress. I quickly left and changed back into my dress. When I got back Amy and Jackson had already gotten their outfits and were heading out the door.

"Wait!" Alec called to me. "One second." He ran out of the room.

I threw the keys to Drake. "Start the car will you?" He grinned and ran off to start the car. Alec came back a few seconds later, a large bag with him. "Alec."

Alec pushed the bag into my hands. "Don't say anything. Think of it as a birthday present, to make up for the last eight years."

"Alec, I-"

"No, don't apologize. You just needed some time." Alec squeezed me tight and pulled away. "Just come stop by before you leave, yeah?"

"Definitely." I nodded, and walked out of the store before I started crying. I smiled when Drake pulled up next to me. Mom and Steve were in Jackson's car.

"Can I drive?" He asked. I laughed and jumped into the passenger seat.

"Don't scratch my car," I told him before he took off speeding.