1) Breakfast & Invitations

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. That's why I spent about an hour or more trying to wear my clothes and doing my hair which for me, is the hardest part of the day. Trying to look like my sister is always a challenge that I can't win and honestly, I don't care to win. So when I looked likeable enough, I went downstairs to have the most important meal of the day.

Our dining room is a fashionable one, at least fashionable enough for our position. We are that kind of family who is not rich but at the same time definitely, not poor. And to speak honestly, I think that we are more rich than poor.

My father always sits at the head of the table while my mother sits next to him on the right side and I sit next to him on the left side. On the other hand, Cecelia, my sister doesn't have a regular seat. She usually sits next to me except if there is a secret or a scandal that she has to tell my mother then she sits next to mama.

Today was one of those days.

"Good morning, papa," I said while kissing his head.

"Good morning, mama, good morning, Cici" I said while sitting.

"Did you sleep well?" Father asked with a smile.

"Yes, papa," I said as I stuffed some food in my mouth.

Man, I was hungry!

"What are your plans for the day?" Father asked.

"I have just finished the book that Meg lent me last night. So I am planning to go to her and discuss it"

"When are you going to spend some time with people your own age?" Mama asked.

I have to say that I was astonished to know that she was actually listening.

"Why don't you spend the day with Cecelia and her friends?"

Cecelia stared at her with shock and fear that I may accept.

I smirked and acted as if I was thinking, "let me see, a day with an amazing conversation with Meg or a day with stupid dress talk with my sister and her shallow friends? I think I will go with Meg"

Papa chuckled which earned him a frown from mama and Cecelia was still confused. Should she be happy that I refused or angry because I insulted her and her friends?

Mama looked at me with anger, "Mrs Walsh is as old as your father so I think that you must stop calling her by her first name"

"She doesn't mind and I prefer Meg over Mrs Walsh," I said casually stuffing more food in my mouth.

Before she could continue her lecture, our butler, Ben came with some letters for my mother and the newspaper for my father. While my mother was inspecting her letters she frowned

It must be granny.

"This letter is from my mother"

Yes! My first deduction of the day is right

My father frowned, "Your mother! What could Mrs. Brown want from us?"

Mother opened the letter and slowly the frown turned into a big smile.

Oh no!

"Mother is coming"

Papa put his newspaper down and stared at mama, "What?"

"She is coming, next week with Mildred, the kids and Vincent," she said with great joy while reading.

Oh no!

"Vincent, too?" He said through gritted teeth but with a wide smile.

"Yes," she said putting the letter down and continuing her breakfast.