22) Dinner & Trouble

Both of us spent the journey staring out of the window without saying a word. Not that I am complaining, I prefer silence to having a conversation similar to the one we had yesterday.

I thanked him and left the carriage before I could even hear his response if he had given one. But when I entered the house, the carriage was still outside.

The married couple were still asleep; I never knew that marriage makes people lazy like that. I prepared the clothes with the help of Janette and left.

The carriage was still there. The driver ran towards me and took the bags and I entered the carriage.

"Thank you for waiting," I said when I entered the carriage, "I hope that I did not delay you from your work"

"You have not," he said still looking from the window.

He is giving me some kind of a silent treatment! Fine, I can live with that.

Another silent journey with a simple thank you before leaving.

I cannot believe that I thanked him three times in one day.

"You know," Meg started while she was walking me to my new room, "I have read a very interesting book a few days ago"

I raised an eyebrow at that very strange topic but I decided to go along because I wanted to know where she was going with this and honestly, I just missed talking to my friend, "and what was it about?"

"It was about psychology"

She stayed silent for a while which made this situation even stranger. When she did not continue, I asked, "and?"

"Hmm," she looked at me with wonder.

I hate it when she tries to add suspense to her stories.

I rolled my eyes, "It was about psychology and?"

"Oh, right, it says that when you forgive someone who you love, you cry"

I stopped walking and started laughing, "Really, Meg? That is the stupidest thing that I have ever heard"

She raised an eyebrow, "excuse me?"

"When you forgive someone, you cry," I said imitating her voice annoyingly then, I said normally, "you cry when you are filled with emotions, nothing more, nothing less"

She shrugged, "it is what the book says. When you forgive," then, she moved her finger starting from the point under my eye to the end of my cheek which made me frown slightly, "a tear falls from your eye"

I raised an eyebrow, "and what? Does it wipe all the hatred from your heart?"

"Actually, it does," she continued walking but when I did not move, she stopped and looked back at me.

A bitter laugh escaped my mouth, "you know, Meg, I really miss the days when our conversations did not always involve your nephew"

I began walking again and she walked beside me silently. She showed me to my room which Charles used to stay in. I had to smile at the thought. I started thinking about when Edward first arrived here then, when Charles arrived then, my parents' death and all the catastrophes that followed.

Life is very strange.

To run from my thoughts, I spent the rest of the day with Jane either reading or playing. She says that she never saw a better reader than me. I have to say that it was the best compliment that I have ever heard.

When dinner was prepared, Palma informed us.

Jane ran to a chair and patted the empty one next to her. That girl is the sweetest thing in the universe.