5) Deals & Doctors

I barely slept last night. I tried, I closed my eyes and drifted into my thoughts but I just couldn't. I waited until morning. When it finally came, I woke up and got ready to leave. I tried to look as fancy as possible but it was hard considering how I look. I won't call myself ugly but I am definitely not beautiful. So I am a fairly fair. I am tall with hazel eyes, dark brown hair and well, a... curvy shape

I went downstairs to say good morning before I leave when my mother stopped me.

"Where are you going?" She said with some anger that I couldn't understand.

"To Meg's. I am having breakfast with her, today"

"Take Cecelia with you, then," she said taking a sip of her tea.

I frowned, "what? Why?"

"Because I say so," she replied matter of factly.

"It's because of Mr. Denton, isn't it?" Father said with a raised eyebrow after he put down the newspaper that he was reading.

My mother shrugged and took another sip of her tea.

It's definitely because of him.

"She is going to take hours to get ready and I promised Mrs. Walsh that I am not going to be late," I complained hoping for the best.

"I am ready"

I looked behind me to find my sister ready and smiling. I gritted my teeth

"Nothing can stop you, now," mother said, "now, take the carriage and don't be late"

"Fine," we both said while going to the carriage.

The carriage. Another reason to make me angry. The carriage is not the reason, of course, but the driver, James. In all my life, I don't think that I ever saw him sober. I don't know why he is even working for us. I just know that he is going to kill one of us one day.

"I chose what you will do for me"

I looked at my sister to find her looking through the window, "what, then?"

She looked at me, "Stay away from Mr. Denton"

I frowned, "what?"

"You are going to stay away from him. I don't want to see you two together"

I was speechless for a second. I couldn't understand what she was saying, "is this some kind of a joke?"

"No," she said with so much self confidence

"I am not going to do it," I said angrily still not believing what she was saying.

"You have no choice, if I saw you together, I will ruin him. You know that I can easily do it," she said again with so much self-confidence.

"Ruin him?" I muttered not understanding what she was saying, "You can't, you have nothing on him"

"On him, no. But I do have some on Mr. Denton senior"

"I don't believe you," I said daringly.

She squinted her eyes, "Mr Denton senior had a lot of dirty business. And guess what? His son knows nothing of them," she looked at me with anger and dare, "Stay away from him or he might know this"

"H... How do you know this?" I said still dazed with the information.

She smirked wickedly, "you should thank father for that, I heard him talking with one of his friends, yesterday"

"All of this because of a stupid bet that you have with that annoying friend of yours?" I said disgustingly.

"All of this because I want him. This time it's more than a bet. He is handsome, rich and with a great personality. We are not getting young so why won't I try to get engaged?"