3) Nephews & Rivals

The ballroom was huge. Once you enter from the door of the house, you find it in front of you. It is just a huge empty area which is not so empty, now. If you are standing at the door, the end of the ballroom is the stairs that lead to the chambers. There is a huge chandelier hanging from the ceiling. At the sides of the room, there are chairs scattered. Yours truly is seated on one in a corner behind a huge pole for people not to see me, though someone did.

For half an hour, I have been sitting here thinking about him. He made me forget about all the people and my observing duty. When I felt my legs going numb, I decided to move a little. I searched for Meg everywhere but with no use, it's like she disappeared. While walking I heard my sister's name being called by a squeaky voice.

Miss Cassandra Wound's squeaky voice.

I hate that woman. She is the reason why people think women are nothing but shallow creatures that do nothing good in the world.

She was running to my sister. That means that there is some gossip to share. Since I am so close, it won't harm if I get near them and hear what is taking dear Cassandra's breath away.

"Have you heard the news?" She asked my sister almost out of breath.

"Which one?" She asked without paying much attention.

"About the new gentleman in town"

Cecelia started paying attention, her eyes were twinkling, "what new gentleman?"

"He just appeared in this ball. No one knows his name or where he came from. They say that he is very handsome"

I guarantee that.

"Did you talk to him?"

"No," she replied in a crying voice. "But none of the girls did except for one"

Jealousy was flashing in Cecelia's eyes while asking, "Who?"

"Your dear sister"

"Amelia," She laughed, "he is a very easy bait, then"

"Definitely, anyone who could bear your sister would be a very easy bait"

I am really highly appreciated.

They both looked at each other daringly and said in unison, "a new bet"

Oh no!

"Whoever can get him first win," Cassandra said.

"Then, I already won," Cecelia replied

I couldn't listen to that conversation any more. I moved as fast as I can away from them. How could they take people's lives as a game? Sometimes they really disgust me.

While I was walking, I heard the sound of a spoon hitting a cup; I looked behind me to see Meg standing on the stairs and the new man standing near her.

"Excuse me," she said after clearing her throat, "I have told you that this ball is a special one but I never said why. So here is the reason. Today's ball's big secret is my nephew, Mr. Edward Denton," she said as the new man stood next to her.

Everyone clapped and murmured while I was killing Meg with my eyes. Once, everyone finished their congratulations, I went and stood by her side while we both looked at the guests.

"Nephew!" I spat between gritted teeth

"Surprise!" she said with a worried smile.

I glared at her, "how could you not tell me that your nephew is coming? I tell you everything, Meg but you can't tell me that your nephew is coming!"

"I am sorry, I am sorry. Can't you forgive an old woman who made a mistake?"

"Did you just call yourself old?" I said with a raised eyebrow

"I am trying to apologise to my friend so yes, this will be the only time that I will call myself old"

I stopped myself from smiling. We stayed silent while looking at the people.

"Am I forgiven?" She said looking at me innocently.

I rolled my eyes, "fine"

She moved left and right in happiness.

Sometimes I wonder who the old lady is between us.

"Since we sorted this out," I said putting my arm in hers and walking, "why is he here?"

Once we returned to my corner, she looked left and right then said, "his poor mother died a few years ago from a weak heart and" she looked at her hands trying to stop her tears from falling, "my brother died a few weeks ago"

"What?" I said in shock, "you never told me"

"I never knew," she said sadly, "Edward said that his death was sudden and they had to make everything quick"

I frowned, "That is so careless of him"

I could feel her teeth gritting but she did not reply because she knows that I am right. Then, a few moments were passed in silence. I guess we were paying tribute to her brother or something.

"Couldn't your nephew take care of himself in London?" I asked wondering.

"He didn't want to stay alone, Amelia, especially in the house where his parents died," she said a little infuriated with my unconcern.

I gave her a sheepish smile, "sorry"

She did not reply but she didn't look angry anymore .

"You must be very happy that he moved with you," I said smiling trying to melt the ice.

"Of course," she said with tears in her eyes. She never admitted it but she hates being alone at this great mansion.

"You always told me about him," I said to myself more than to her, "you said that I used to remind you of him. Not everything I mean he wasn't observant at all but he was smart and funny and liked to play just like me"

"I told him about you," she said not looking at me.

I looked at her with surprise, "about me? When?"

"I used to write about you sometimes. But I told him about you mostly today"

My heart was beating fast, I swallowed, "what did you tell him?"

"Everything, I think"

I found myself standing up and moving away. I know that she will kill me for leaving her like this the next time I see her. But my legs were moving themselves because I am sure that I am not moving them. Because if I was moving them, I would have never led myself to Edward Denton, right now.

I found myself standing in front of him and him smirking charmingly.

I gathered my courage and smiled, "her nephew?"

"Yes," he said still smirking, "but it's unfair for you to know my name while I still call you half lady"

I smiled and was about to speak when the worst thing happened.

"Amelia!"

I closed my eyes and cursed the world.

I found her hugging me from behind, "Amelia, my dear. Where have you been? I have been searching for you"

I glared at Cecelia while she smiled at me, "what do you want, Cecelia?"

"Oh, excuse me," he said looking dreamingly at Cecelia, "I don't believe that we have met"

Oh no! He had fallen for her before she even talked to him. I lost before I even began playing.

"I am Cecelia Abbot"

He took her hand and kissed it, "and I am Edward Denton, very pleased to meet you"

I don't like him, I don't like him, I don't like him. I can't like him. I just saw him. But why did my heart race when I saw him, just now? Why did I feel sad and angry when Cecelia began talking to him? Why does Cecelia have to take him? Why am I so attracted to him? WHY?

Author's Note: Poor Amelia:(  Well who knows what will happen next?Don't forget to vote, comment and tell me what you think.