13) News & Babies

"So what did I miss?"

"A lot, actually," she said taking a sip of her tea, "your family didn't leave"

"I heard that Cecelia and I inherited the house"

"Yes, you did. She didn't want to stay there for obvious reasons so she thought about selling it"

"She can't do that without my permission," I said with some anger. I can't believe that she wants to sell the house.

"Yes, that's why for two weeks she didn't leave me alone," Meg said with pain.

I smiled at her reaction, "what happened after two weeks?"

"Bernard told her that he wanted to stay there"

I frowned, "he wanted that?"

"He wanted to live in the place where his mother lived"

I gave her a sad smile, "that's just like Bernard, how is he?"

"Good, the first year was hard for him with his family and the society, but now, everything is good"

"And Daphne?"

"She is getting a lot of suitors," she said with a mischievous smile.

My eyes widened, "she is not married, yet"

"No," she looked at me suspiciously, "why?"

"Nothing, just asking," I said taking a sip of my tea.

I cannot believe that Bernard has not asked for her hand, yet. What is he waiting for?

She didn't settle for my answer but before she could ask me again I asked, "How is the rest of the family?"

"They are all fine and well. They will be very happy when they see you," she said with a wide smile taking my hand in hers and squeezing it gently.

"Not all of them," another sip, "how is he?"

"In debt"

I smiled, "good"

"Amelia!" She shouted with wide eyes. I think she was surprised more than angry at my reaction.

"Don't expect me to have pity on him," I said bluntly.

She knew better than arguing with me so she continued her tea.

"How are they?" I asked looking at my tea.

She gave me a sad smile knowing that I was talking about Cecelia and Edward, "They have a baby"

My heart stopped. I knew that something like that would happen. They are married for God's sake. I was preparing myself for it since I decided to come back but... I still can't take it. It hurts so much.

"Since when?"

"Six months ago"

"Six months ago!" I exclaimed, "Isn't that very late?"

"Yes, they were beginning to lose hope but it came as a gift from God"

I smiled sarcastically. A gift from God! As if he would bless that hideous marriage.

"A boy or a girl?"

"A girl, Jane"

"Jane Denton, fancy!" I said with my sarcastic smile, "Let me guess, my sister picked it"

She smiled, "Yes"

Jane Denton! Edward's child from Cecelia... I could feel my heart ache at the thought of the name.