20) Funerals & Weddings

It has been a year, three months and four days since Cecelia was gone and I still cannot believe it. I still imagine that one day I will see her rolling her eyes when I enter a room. Sometimes when I wake up, I think that when I go downstairs for breakfast, I will find father reading the papers and mother and Cecelia gossiping.

But that never happens. Now, when I go downstairs to have breakfast, I find Granny, Aunt Mildred, Bernard and Daphne. When I go to Mrs. Philips, I find her, baby Jane and very few times, I could also find Dr Philips.

I succeeded in avoiding Edward for a year three months and four days except in the annual memory of Cecelia's death. I can still remember it as if it was yesterday.

I was in the graveyard paying my tribute to Cecelia then, to my parents and was leaving when a carriage stopped next to me.

"Amelia," he called breathlessly.

"Edward," I said with the smallest smile, "how do you do?"

"C... Could you join me?" He said pointing at his carriage.

I shook my head, "I do not think that is a good idea"

He took a step forward, "Please, I need to talk to you"

I did not want to go. I will never be at ease with him around and I do not like the way that he is talking. Feels as if we were two lovers not siblings in law.

I looked at him with a strong will to say no but once I landed my eyes on his, yes was all that came out of my mouth.

I sat next to him and the carriage started moving.

"It has been a while," he said smiling, "How have you been? What is new in your life?"

"Bernard and Daphne are engaged," I said with a warm feeling in my heart. I am very happy that they are finally together.

"I know," he said smiling, "when will the wedding be?"

"After three or four months," I said, "we were waiting for the annual memorial to pass. Now, that it did, nothing can stop them but arrangements"

"I went to congratulate him when Aunt Meg told me," then he held my hand so I had to lift my eyes to his, "but I did not see you, then"

My heartbeats were increasing, I felt hot and I was unable to open my mouth.

"How were you able to avoid me for a whole year, Amelia? Do you know how much I missed you? Needed you? But every time I go home early or pass by your house, you are not there," he whispered looking into my eyes and sitting very close to me that our faces were only inches apart.

"Edward, please let go of my hand and stop talking," I pleaded while looking away.

"Look at me, Amelia," he said but of course I did not, "Look. At. Me"

I did and regretted it at once. His eyes, his honey eyes are looking at me, into me with so much intense.

Unknowingly, I tapped the roof of the carriage and it halted to a stop. I ran away from the carriage. I could not breathe then; I could not do anything but run away. Running away from my heart, my thoughts, my problems, my past and especially, my present.

That same desperate runaway girl is wearing a pretty pink dress for her brother's wedding.

I looked at the mirror and froze. I looked so different. Thinner but somehow better, more beautiful and definitely more elegant. Mother would have been proud of me.

A knock on the door interrupted me from my thoughts.

"Enter!"

Meg opened the door with her classy blue dress and froze.