12) Arrival & Surprises

Three years. Three years have passed before my return to my hometown again. Now, as I sit in the carriage and watch the places that I used to go to, I get all my memories back.

It is so good to be back here!

Three years ago, I lost my parents. I still remember the day of their death, the day when Bernard knew who his real parents were.

Three years ago, Charles left me. I still remember our fight.

Two weeks after my parents' death, I was visiting Meg when he came to me with his charming smile and kissed my cheek,

"How are you, today?" he asked with concern.

"Getting better," I lied with a smile.

"I have exciting news," he announced with excitement.

"What could it be?" I asked smiling.

"We are getting married next week"

My smile faded and a neutral look took its place, "what?"

"Don't frown at me and listen," he said still smiling, "we are going to get married next week because the week after it we are going to Africa"

"Charles, I am in the dark here so could you stop with the riddles and tell me what are you talking about?" I said with some anger.

"Remember when I told my dream of making the world a better place?"

I nodded.

"Remember when you asked me how will I do that and I kept it a secret"

I nodded, I began to understand where he was going with this discussion but I lied to myself because that is the last thing that I want to hear, right now.

"The secret was that I volunteered to go to Africa to search diseases and medications," he paused, "they accepted me and gave me two weeks to prepare myself to leave"

"You are leaving me alone," I said with my face full of hurt.

"No," he said trying to keep his smile, "we are going to get married and go..."

"Charles, I am not going anywhere," I said trying to end the conversation.

"What?" He asked with astonishment.

"Do you really believe that I am going to leave my life here and go with you to Africa?"

"Yes, because you are supposed to be in love with me," he said with anger.

"You want me to get married after my parents' death with two weeks," I said not believing what he wants.

"Because I have to leave after it," he said, "do you want me to leave you and go?"

"No, I want you to stay with me," I stated the obvious.

"I can't, I finally have the chance to fulfil my dream and you are asking me to abandon it"

"I am asking you to stay with me. I am not leaving my life here to go to Africa"

"What life?" He shouted, "You have no life here. Actually, you have no one here. No one here cares about you. The only one who cares about you except for me is your father and he is..."

He realized what he was saying but it was too late. The knife has already hit me.

"Amelia, I am so sorry," he said as he tried to approach me.

"Get out," I said as I stepped away.

"Amelia, I am sorry, I swea..." He began

"Get out," I said full of anger.