8) Jealousy & Friendship

"You are going to kill them with your eyes"

Bernard looked at me with surprise. I sat next to him watching Dr Reeve and Daphne talking together. My family is, now, at a dinner party in Mrs. Walsh's mansion. It has been three months since the arrival of Mama's family. The best three months of my life. Cecelia still has her charm on Mr. Denton but everything else is going fine. Bernard is with me, I have a lot of amazing conversations with Dr Reeve and I still sneak some private minutes with Mr. Denton.

"I never understood your jealousy, Bernard," I said taking a sip from my drink, "Every time that any man talks to your sister, you dream about killing him. You know that she is going to get married sooner or later, right?"

"That is what scares me," he said without moving his eyes away from them then he looked at me and said, "I don't want her to get married, I want her to stay with me"

I frowned and took his hand, "That is impossible, Berny"

"Why?" He asked sadly, "what will marriage do to her that I can't do?"

I shrugged, "I was never married before but I know that it is different"

He frowned then looked at them again.

"I know that you do everything with her," I began, "she is the only one that truly cares about you in London but you have to let go"

No answer.

"Berny, you are not a child"

He looked at me, sadness was flashing in his eyes. Once I saw that sadness I knew that I had to move. I had to help Bernard... Even if it was in the wrong way

"Would you like to ruin their romance?"

He looked at me with confusion, "what?"

"You know that I hate romance so why don't we ruin that disturbing view?"

He smiled, "but you said that I have to let go"

I leaned over and whispered, "Maybe not yet"

With that, we were up and going to ruin the romance. Once we were close, I felt something strange in my heart. Something that made it ache just like it ached when I saw Cecelia with Edward. I really need to go to Dr Philips to check my heart.

"Well, well, well," I said with a smile trying to forget about my heart, "you two are inseparable, aren't you?"

Bernard and I took a seat in front of them; I let him sit near Daphne while I sat next to him. Once we sat down, the smile on Daphne's face disappeared. For some reason, that made a smile want to reach to my face but I suppressed it.

Daphne smiled one of her fake smiles and said, "Dr Reeve was telling me one of his stories"

"It must be a funny one," I said in a slightly cruel tone, "because I could hear your laugh from the other room"

She gave another fake smile, "I don't think that I laughed that hard," Then she looked at Dr Reeve and said, "although I wouldn't be surprised since Dr Reeve is so funny"

He gave her a small smile then looked at me. I held his gaze for a couple of seconds simply because I couldn't look in any other direction then I looked at Bernard. He was very sad next to me, he would have cried if there weren't people in the room.

I thought for a second then I looked at Dr Reeve, thankfully, he was looking my way. I made a move with my eyebrows saying that I need to have a word with him.

He cleared his throat then said, "Miss. Abbot, may I have a word with you?"

I flashed him a smile, "of course, Dr Reeve," I couldn't, I just couldn't leave without smirking at Daphne who was killing me with her eyes.