Chapter 12: Bumps in the Night

Nicolette:                  

                  The longer I lay here trying to convince myself that the knocking was only my imagination, it got louder and faster. Each bang more urgent then the last.

                I looked over the side of my bed, squinting my eyes to see better in the dark, and found Ashley sprawled across her blow up mattress with her mouth open. Eliza was snoring on her side of the dorm.

                I groaned, do I have to do everything around here?

                I tried my hardest not to give in to the spiteful side of me and step on Ashley’s head.

                “Who the hell bangs on our door at three in the morning?” I grumbled to myself and I must have been louder than I thought.

                “Would you stop talking to yourself and open the damn door?”

                My body came to a sudden halt. I knew that voice, oh so well.

                What is that psychotic, narcissistic, playboy doing at my room at three in the morning-

                “Nikki, open the damn door or I swear I’ll-“

                I narrowed my eyes at the tall boy as he took in my very lacy, very revealing nightgown.

                He smirked. I knew this was a bad idea. “Do you always sleep like that?”

                “Adam-“ I hissed.

                “Cause if you do, I think I’ll make nightly visit more often,” his eyes were glued to my legs.

                “What the hell do you want at three in the morning?” His blue eyes looked back at me and I was surprised to see that there was no mischief dancing in between the green specks. There wasn’t any humor.

                He was being serious.

                “I, um,” he scratched the back of his neck. “I got kicked out.”

                “What?”

                He glared, “Ryan. Kicked. Me. Out.”

                “Why?”

                He groaned, “Because Jackie’s a slut.”

                I laughed because I know Adam too well to know Jackie could not be blamed, “and you’re an easy sexual predator.”

                His eyes narrowed, “I’m not easy.”

                “Right,” I said and drew out the vowels for emphasis.

                “So…What are you doing here?”

               HIs eyes were somber and I felt the need to memorize his face in this moment. There was only a few times, in all the years that I've known Adam, when he was serious. And even then they were fleeting and usually only a second long. 

         I liked this side of him. More then I cared to realize. 

          "I need a place to stay."

           I smirked, "And what makes you think you can stay with me?"

           His eyes burned and I knew he really wasn't in the mood. But I couldn't help it. It wasn't everyday I got to tease a vulnerable Adam.