16

Elliott POV

"Can you show them your metamorphosis?" I asked, arms folded as I lent on the counter. Wesley was staring at me from across the room, ten minutes until we opened.

"Meta what?" Chloe grimaced at the word, maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

"Metamorphosis. When I found you..you know I explained all this, the drawing and becoming thing"

"Clearly not very well" I heard Corina mutter.

"How can she do it with out a power pendant Elliott?"

"Because. Because she can."

"How? We can't-"

"KIKI! It helps you control your power! It's not entirely responsible for your change!"

"It doesn't seem to help Zoey control hers."

"Zoey is more emotion driven than anything else. It just harness'... We aren't talking about Zoey, Chloe is meant to be showing us-"

"Five minutes until opening Elliott. This can wait."

"No! No it can't! Just stop being so childish and get on with it!!"

A quick silence fell on the room; I realised I had just yelled at the new girl, we hadn't opened yet. My face close to hers I backed away, shoving my hands in my pockets and beginning to leave the room. When an animalistic growl came from behind me.

She had done it.

Transformed into a red fox, her ears elegantly active and listening and her tail immaculate. Chloe was sly. I had quickly come to realised that she made you get everything out in the worst way possible. Before she swooped in to save the day.

She would have to change that.

"Woah"

"But that. A fox?" Bridget whispered to Corina, the two girls nodding and exchanging conversation.

"We'll have customers." Wesley ordered as he threw an apron at Chloe, who slowly began human once more, "can we talk Elliott? Basement."
"We are meant to be open girls." I hissed behind me as I followed my friend downstairs away from the others.

Wesley was silent. Sighing, he rubbed the back of his neck before sitting down on a chair, turning to face me instead of the computers that were - as always- full of formula's and equations.

"What are you doing Elliott?"

I scoffed slightly, perhaps more out of guilt than anything else, refraining from giving him an answer.

"I know we said we wanted to help people with this... who could... mutate. We both know we can't help everyone-"

"We can help everyone."

"By getting there. Yes. I know. We all do."

Wesley remained calm and composed. Trying to De fuse something before it blew up.

"We have an incredible team. We shouldn't go throwing other people... strangers... into the mix. Chloe could ruin the dynamic. One thing out of place with those girls and sending them to another world would be out of the question. We just don't have the time."

Time.

That's what Zoey said. It's infuriating when she's right.

ZOEY POV

The day dragged on slowly. Annoyingly Chloe had experience in the catering trade and was too good at being a waitress. She never dropped anything, got every order perfect and even started taking orders from the tables that Bridget or I usually waited on. I couldn't stand her. She was perfect.

Other than the fact she was gushing about Elliott whenever she had the chance.

No one even came to my rescue, they just sauntered off when she opened her mouth and left me - the nice one  - standing listening. I couldn't very well leave her on her own, it would be rude and she would definitely make a fuss.

"Isn't Elliott so dreamy and isn't Elliott so amazing, teaching me all these knew things I never knew about myself? You know aliens exist! I never knew that"

On and on she went, even after closing. It's as if she sensed that I hated her so she would pursue my man, my man, to no end other than to annoy and anger me. If I hadn't been so nice and friendly I would have punched her.

Or not.

Because then Elliott would get annoyed - he is very quick tempered and I don't think he thinks much before he talks. Not that I am a great expert at thinking before I talk...

My thoughts were shattered again by the familiar sound of Corina and Kiki fighting, Wesley and Rene in deep conversation about a suicide mission. Kiki is a child! How can they think of sending us all to die.

I changed out of my work clothes and into some big baggy comfort clothes and headed back out to the park; seemingly needing a touch of peace and quiet.