A gift for death

Death
/deTH/
noun
the action or fact of dying or being killed; the end of the life of a person or organism.
"Lance Mclain wasn't scared of death"
It was meant to be a simple mission for the team: save the planet Cruis from the arriving Galra. "Ok paladins, we need to evacuate the villagers living here and then destroy the Galra fleet. Hunk and Shiro will work on luring the Galrans away, Keith and Pidge will work on protecting the planet from blasts, and Lance, you'll be working on evacuating everyone," Allura briefly reviewed. Everyone nodded in agreement and sped to their respective lions.
An unsettling feeling nestled it's way into Lance's gut, but he pushed it to the back of his mind.
I'm just being paranoid. Get it together.
He scolded himself, flying blue down to the astonishing planet. The planet itself was a soft teal, with white crawling around it like vines. A singular ring went around the perimeter of it. Blue landed safely on Cruis and lowered her jaw to touch its' surface, which was mainly rocky with pink grass covering it. Her paladin rushed out to the village and gathered up the aliens. "My baby!! Where is she!?" A frightened villager frantically searched, screaming for her lost child. This caught the Cuban's attention as he sprung into action.
The end is getting closer
Every house was searched until he stumbled upon what once looked to be an old shop. Flames engulfed it, casting an orange glow down on the building. Soft cries could be barley heard above the roaring fire.
There's not much time left
Lance avoided all the debris falling and made his way to the small alien girl. She was curled up in the corner, tears streaking down her pale blue skin. Navy blue freckles dotted her nose and cheeks, mimicking the color of her two eyes. Lilac hair framed her face, falling in loose, bouncy curls, down to her thighs.
Scooping her up, Lance fled the collapsing building, making his way over to Blue.
Time is running out fast.
Bad feelings always had a way of confirming what was gonna happen for Lance.
I'm not gonna make it...
That wasn't anymore reassuring.
Waves of urgency and worry filled the bond between Lance and Blue. An ion canon was charging up and was headed right for Cruis.
He knew what he had to do.
"I'm sorry Blue." He tossed the little girl into a lion's awaiting mouth. She gave her paladin a saddened purr, Lance smiling back weakly.
I never thought I would go out this way.
He sat down gingerly onto the soft pink grass. The sun was setting, casting shades of blue all around the planet, even with the battle going on. Rose tufts in the sky, that resembled clouds, were scattered everywhere.
"Get out of there you idiot!" He could hear Pidge's voice crack while screaming at him. "Lance, this isn't the time to be relaxing. We need to go!" Shiro's tone was similar to his father's, making him smile. Tears were streaming down his face, mirroring his broken smile. "I was bound to die at one point, we all are, just some sooner than others. I'm really gonna miss you guys. Adiós mi familia espacial."
The team's shouts of concern filled the comms as the beam of light got closer to Lance.
He closed his eyes and let himself be taken away from Life, into the open arms of Death.
Death always awaits every gift from Life with open arms.