A little too late

The blue paladin groggily lifted himself off the ground.
"Where am I?"
He looked around and saw his teammates' faces looming down on him. Concern was evident on their faces, some even were panicking.
"He's awake!" Shiro helped him up and announced to everyone the great news. "You're in blue's hangar and we just finished fighting off the galra. Congrats, you killed Hagar, we couldn't have done it without you!" Keith praised.
This isn't like them...
Lance falls to the ground clutching his head as flashbacks flood his head.
It shows him shooting the witch square in her forehead, but not before she blasts him with some sort of spell. Screams from Pidge and Hunk filled his hearing before everything went blank.
Recognition settles in him.
I never made it out of the ship.
"-ance! Can you hear me buddy!Dude you ok!" Urgency flooded Keit- wait no. This wasn't Keith.
Tear drops streaked down his face.
It wasn't real.
None of this was.
That was Haggar's very last trick. She trapped him in a dream-like state where he heard everything he wanted to. Worst part of it, there was no way out.
"No," the sobbing Cuban boy whispered, tugging at his hair. "It's just another one of her tricks!" He shook his head, repeating himself over and over again. "I'm not- y-you guys would never say this about me, none of you would," he stuttered out.
The team's praises went unnoticed as he curls in on himself. "I don't deserve this attention." Hunk's face morphed into one of utter shock, "Yes you do! We all care about you." Agreements filled the room as Keith put a hand on Lance's shoulder, pulling him into a hug. "You're a great pilot, possibly better than me, our team sharpshooter, and you're part of the family I never had."
No, this isn't really them.
He knew this was all too good to be true. He never deserved attention, yet he sought after it the most.
Attention seeker, that's what I am. Good for nothing too. I just hold everyone back
An idea sparked in his head.
There was only one way out of here. He cautiously stood up and drew a shaky breath. A weary smile was directed at his "team".
"You guys are a lot nicer than my actual friends."
A single tear fell to the ground.
"Don't miss me too hard when I'm gone."
A gunshot was heard, and a thud soon followed. Shrieks from both his real team and the fake one melted together, echoing through his mind as reality was quickly pulled from under him. He had shot himself to escape.
Their beloved paladin was gone forever.
As always, they were a little too late.