Chapter 14

When arriving at the motel a little later, she found her room to be newly appointed, crisp and without any semblance of other worldly charm or calling. Anne dumped her suitcase and pulled on some slacks and a cute lace top. She paused on her way back out the door and checked in a mirror on the wall. They were having a meal and drinks at a bar of some sort; she and her fixed-up girlfriends.

Why not make an effort, mousy mouse? She flipped open her suitcase and pulled out the makeup kit her aunt had no doubt bought as a hint, then set to work. Thankfully a little page of instructions had been included. Primer over the entire lid. White highlight under the brow and in the tear duct area, light violet over the lid, and a thick smudge of indigo along the lash line. There was a purple pencil included and she drew a series of short dashes along her upper and lower lash line. It took several tries to remove the cellophane from the tube of mascara, and even longer to paint her eyelashes without clumps and without leaving little spidery lines all over her careful work.

And then it was all for naught. The cell phone rang, vibrating as it made a sound like twittering birds. Anne jumped and smeared the mascara all the way to her eyebrow. She grabbed the purse and rummaged, finding the phone just in time.