Chapter 51

"Hi, guys!" Ethel gushed. "Here." Before they could protest, she snipped off some of the intense green plant and fed it into the little humming machine, pressing the juice into two clean shot glasses. They graciously downed the shots, trying not to shudder at the vile flavor. She normally charged for wheat grass.

"So, how's married life?" she asked them.

"Wonderful," Anne said enthusiastically. Nick squeezed her hand and she frowned at him.

"I've just gotten a new book about reading auras," Ethel said. "Stand still and let me see yours." She hurried out from behind the counter and ran her hands about four inches above Anne's body. She paused over her friend's belly.

"Hmmm."

"What?" Anne asked, and Nick squeezed her hand again.

"Well, you're not pregnant yet, but I think, if you try tonight, you will be."

She glanced at Nick. His expression didn't look too promising. "That's great, Ethel, thanks. We have to move on. Come on, honey."

She led her husband away.

As soon as they were out of earshot, he began muttering. "Who does she think she is? None of her business. Silly woman."

"Nick," Anne said soothingly, "she was only trying to help. Don't take it the wrong way."

He shook his head. "That is one strange woman."

"I know. I love her though. So, will we be trying tonight?"

"Oh yeah, baby. Of course. Just not because she said so."

"Of course not." But when Nick wasn't looking, she touched the necklace again, considering.