Chapter 26

"Oh my!" she squeaked, closing the yellow daisy curtain and thinking about running and hiding somewhere. "Oh my God-a husband!"

There were two places set at the table, and she added the plates, completing the settings. She brushed at her apron and patted down her hair, peering into the mirrored cabinet again as she pawed the rings on her finger. Oh my God-a husband? She implored inwardly. "What the hell am I supposed to do with a husband other than feed him?" she prattled on under her breath as she parted the living room curtain, this one green with a brown paisley pattern, and watched him stop at a wooden bench with a bucket of water under a tap.

It was a wash stand of some sort. He splashed in the bucket and lathered up a bar of soap to scrub his arms. He then stripped off his shirt and Anne squeaked again at the sight of his magnificently toned body. He wasn't a big man. He was about average height and build, but his chest and stomach were chiselled perfection. The late afternoon sun was casting shadows in the definition of his pecs and abs. His jaw was square, his face lightly whiskered. His lower arms were darkly tanned while his upper arms were white. His biceps were huge. The suds were trickling down his chest and stomach to the belt of his jeans. His hips were narrow and his backside looked tight, and Anne imagined how firm it would feel. Oh my God-stop it, she told herself. His thighs were defined in the blue denim fabric, tightening it and straining against the slender cut.

Anne closed the curtain and backed away from it. She stood in the middle of the living room clutching the top of her dress closed. The man could be heard whistling as he approached the house. He was about to open the door and what the hell was she supposed to do?