Chapter 48

After work, Anne returned to the house to find her freshly washed husband waiting for her. He gave her a long sweet kiss.

"What's this?" he asked, touching the necklace.

"A gift from Ethel."

Nick rolled his eyes. "Why are you taking stuff from the town witch?"

Anne hit him on the arm. "She's not a witch, she's my friend."

"Then she should know you don't like pink. I even know that."

"She didn't make it because it's pink," Anne protested. "It's rose quartz, for fertility."

Nick frowned. "I don't like you talking about our private business like that."

"I haven't told her a thing. I swear. She says the spirits tell her."

"Spirits," Nick scoffed.

"I know, but there's something... different about Ethel. Always has been. There's no harm in her, though. I'm sure about that."

"Well I'm sure you don't need a pink necklace for fertility. That's not how babies are made, sweet thing." He licked her ear and she squeaked in surprise.

"Hey, I know you've been working hard today. How about instead of you cooking, we go out to dinner and catch a movie. There's one showing that I want to see."

Anne smirked. She'd known him two days and could already guess what he was going to do.

"That sounds great."