Chapter 34

"Did Alf end up putting the truck up on the roof, sweetheart? I bet he will. It's a bloody good idea to set the place off and draw in more trucks... make it into a full-on truckers' stop."

"Yes, I think he will," Anne answered, smiling through gritted teeth, desperate not to say anything that didn't make sense. As weird and crazy as the experience was, she did not want to spoil it. She had done a full pirouette in the kitchen to try out her legs, a full ballerina-style spin that came so naturally she wondered if 'Patricia' had taken ballet lessons.

Then, dinner over, the man went into the living room to relax.

"Are you coming, baby?" he asked her.

"I'll be there soon. I'd like to take a bath first."

He turned, his pale eyes glowing again. "Good idea. Get yourself all nice and soft and relaxed." He winked.

Anne felt heat rising in her cheeks again, and with a quick nod, hurried away.

In the bathroom, she turned the taps on the cast iron tub. It had separate faucets for hot and cold, and she adjusted the water flow as best she could, hoping to get the right combination. Then, as though drawn by a magnet, she walked over to the vanity, a wall mounted piece with a sink in the centre and two rows of drawers running down the side. It was supported above the floor by three thin metal legs. The legs and countertop were yellow to match the walls. The drawer fronts were white. Mounted on the wall above was a large round mirror orbited all the way around with smaller circles of reflective glass.