Chapter 61

There was a camera with a telescopic lens mounted on a tripod behind where Anne was sitting. "So it could be heat waves-like mirages?" she suggested.

"Yes it could be, dear," the woman answered, backing through the screen door with a tray of tea and homemade biscuits. She placed the tray and poured the tea. "It could be heat mirages, but it's not," she went on mysteriously. "You see the house there in the mist? We rarely get a summer mist, and when we do, Reg knows to have the camera set, don't you, Reg?"

"That I do," Reg assured supportively.

Anne was looking at photographs of the house through mist. It was definitely there. The image was milky and distorted but there was no denying the distinct lines of a small cottage. "Oh my God. It is the house," she exclaimed. "And the truck. I drove that truck to town. That's it exactly!"

"You drove it, dear? What do you mean, you drove it?" Ethel asked sharply.

Anne had turned more pages with similar photo series of both the hay field and the house in the mist. "I mean yesterday I was at the house and had some sort of dream or vision or something where I was back there in nineteen sixty-eight, there in the house and driving the truck to town to do the shopping. I was there with Nick, as real as I am sitting here right now."