Chapter 16

There were two cute guys who had worked their way from the bar to join Anne and Cynthia at their table. Cynthia was married and made that known, but she quite skilfully redirected any interest in Anne's direction. Anne was in the mood for attention too, and when the one particular guy she was feeling very attracted to saw his friend off and stayed on, she was virtually wriggling in her seat with excitement.

His name was Mike. His friends had been calling him Micky. He was tall and a bit thin, but handsome with his intelligent eyes, dark blond hair that showed an inclination to fade to ginger, and a smile that lit up the conversation. He was looking at Anne a lot, directing his chat towards her and watching for her reaction to anything said. Anne was indeed wriggling with excitement, but also because she needed the ladies room. At last she excused herself with a faint blush.

"Hurry back," Mickey urged.

She hurried but had to wait in line. When she got back he was gone.

"What? Just like that?" she implored of her friend.

Cynthia was grinding her teeth with rage. "Forget him. He's just another dickhead!"

"But he was... he was really nice!"

Cynthia gave Anne her handbag and stood to leave. "Come on, sweetie."

"What? What did he say?" Anne's lip was quivering. She knew.

"He said nothing. Just that he had to run."