Chapter 64

"Yes, exactly. You see we don't get to keep our memories-not yet! But one day we will. One day everything will be returned to us-those of us who are chosen."

"Chosen?"

The old woman smiled. "I know. A witch, right?"

Anne remembered the hippie girl, saw her in the elderly woman before her. Something had changed in the intervening years. She was a deep pool now. "No. Of course not."

"Oh, it's fine. I kind of like being the local witch. It keeps the salesmen from knocking on my door."

They all laughed.

"But what do you mean, chosen?" Anne pressed with interest. "Who gets chosen?"

"Just the good among us, dear. We don't get to keep our memories yet, but the kindest hearts among us can get a special exemption sometimes."

Anne blushed. She was kind. She deserved a special exemption.

"Yes, dear, you do," the wise old woman said, as if reading her mind. "And what did you learn from our Nick and your memories?"

"I learned about love," Anne said, her voice catching again. "I just learned about being loved by a man."

The elderly couple claimed each other's hand and exchanged a knowing smile.

"Then my guess is that the love of a man is something that is about to come your way, dear. And Nick wants you to know it when you see it."

"Really?" Anne asked, hoping that was true. "Do you think that's what this all meant?"

Ethel shrugged, her eyes going to the pocket of Anne's jeans, as though she could feel the object inside. "I'm a very old spirit, dear. I've been around a long, long time. That's my best guess," she chuckled. "I say, wait and see, and be ready!"

Reg turned back from gazing out at the hay fields. "I wonder if we'll see young Nick again," he offered wistfully. "I wonder."