5 - Freedom Comes With A Cost

A large gust of wind scattered leaves around our legs. Flora whimpered and clutched my bare leg, making it hard to walk. After a moment I gave up and picked my little sister into my arms. She immediately buried her head into my neck. I continued walking aimlessly, searching for help.

The London night was cold. Wind blew in horrid strong gusts, making my short dress rise up to reveal more than I wanted. Fear and worry clenched my stomach. The patter of my heart could be heard by Flora, who was shivering. I pushed herself tighter against me, wanting to protect my sister from the dreadful wind. 

The sky was dark with night. Somewhere in the distance, a bottle clattered down the street. Draycottwas empty of its residents, but there was still evil lurking in the deadly alleys that must be avoided at all costs. Druggies and the homeless wandered in the shadows, waiting for something that would never come. Prostitutes roamed the streets for new customers, and the sounds of moaning could be heard near the trash cans. I kept my head down and continued walking through the bitter cold, holding Flora as tightly as I could.

Lucian was nowhere to be seen.

12 Hours Earlier

"I am not going to leave my home, Lucian!" I shouted. Flora woke with a start, slapping my face with surprise. I lulled her back to sleep after a moment, and her childish snores sounded once again. In front of me, Lucian's heavy breathing could also be heard. He eyed me angrily.

"I have never met such a character as yourself, Victoria." he growled. "Why must you always be so defiant? I don't understand you. I have said before, we can't live apart! The Luna Bonda will not allow it. We must be in each other's presence at all times. I can't live without you, literally. If you are to stay here, it will cause physical pain."

"You are not serious." I scoffed. "This is bloody ridiculous, Lucian."

"Victoria, please." his words were softer this time. I looked up in surprise. I had expected to receive anger at defying his order, but instead it was the complete opposite. Lucian looked saddened by the fact that I refused to live with him, and it broke my heart for some reason. He walked over until his lips were against my hair. I suddenly noticed how much taller Lucian was than I. He towered over Flora and I, with such a power that had my knees buckling. I couldn't understand how everything he did or said was such a turn on.

"Please." he repeated, voice a liquid smolder. I felt the incredibly heat coming off his chest, even with Flora between us. My lips twitched with the need to kiss Lucian, but I fought off the warm feeling. This wasn't me. I couldn't let him break me.

"Okay." I said. But of course, it really wasn't. Lucian wouldn't leave me alone unless I did what he said. I could be the perfect mate he wanted me to be, but only for pretend. I would leave with Flora when he least suspected, and move far away where even the stupid bond between us couldn't reach.

"I can tell what you're thinking, Victoria, and let me warn you that it won't work. You can't escape from me. You may not believe it now, but if you leave, I can guarantee you will come back. Willingly." Lucian muttered. I ignored his jabs and walked into the living room with Flora. Lucian's helpers appeared from the couch. Without being wolves or in their ski masks, I could finally make out the features.

One of them was thick and burly, with stiff brown hair and a stubble that looked like it was honestly trying to grow. He had a quiet demeanor about himself, and wouldn't make eye contact with me. His friend was tall and skinny, with no hair and a mustache. He wouldn't look at me either. It took me a moment to realize this was probably because of Lucian's dumb mating thing.

Because God forbid anyone looks at the Alpha's mate.

"Flora..." I turned on Lucian. "...is coming with me."