15 - You Can't Control Me

Maybe it wasn't the best idea.

Not only did Viktor lose his temper, but Lucian did as well. He grabbed the necklace from my hand and threw it to Vaughn. Viktor let out a loud, inhumane snarl and finally attacked, lunging for Lucian who shoved me back. Flora fell to the ground with a yelp. I rushed over and picked her up. It was a moment until I noticed the one hundred hungry eyes trained on us. 

Well, shit.

The first black wolf growled, a low dangerous one that made Flora whimper. Sweat trickled down my neck. Behind me, I could hear Lucian and Viktor fighting. It was all growls and the disgusting noises of bodies thumping into gravel. My knees shook in sudden tremors. I couldn't find the courage to move away. I was too afraid they might attack if I did. Lucky situation it was not. I had forgotten Vaughn was also with us, until he leaped towards the first dog.

And all at once, the dominoes ticked over from the first push.

Everything was happening too quickly. All of the rabid wolves rushed towards Flora and I, but were suddenly interceded as something brown came from the trees. It was another wolf, followed by another, then another. Lucian's pack! I could only watch as the macabre horror unfolded in front of me. The world spun out of control as bodies began flying. Blood was splashed around like water at a pool party.

It was all too much.

Flora's sobs suddenly brought me back to my senses. I moved away just in time as a decapitated wolf head was thrown at us. The eyes turned back to a normal brown, yet the inky black fur remained. Instead of red, it was black. The blistered flesh where the skin was torn apart dangled like broken sinew. I could feel today's breakfast rising in my throat.

"Victoria!"

I was too frozen to see who had called my name. Hiding next to the ruined van, I cringed into Flora's hair. The snarls and fighting didn't escape her innocent ears. We both knew what was happening but were too cowardly to see it. I winced as a splash of black blood cascaded over the roof of the car and in front of us, followed by heavy footsteps.

Lucian appeared next to us, his clean clothes drenched in the disgusting black liquid. My mouth was agape, unable to speak any words. Regret was clear in Lucian's steely eyes as he extended a hand towards my waist, but I scrambled away.

I wanted to run away. But how far could I have gone? Before, it was running from Lucian. Now I was running by his side, from all the dangers and obstacles this mating produced. I wanted to escape the sounds of death that was happening at the very moment, but we could never be truly safe from his enemies. They would always find us. Tonight was just an example of all the horrors yet to come, and we both damn well knew that.

Slowly, the sounds of the fighting died out yet I did not dare look. My stomach was already twisting with disgust and fear. Swallowing down my nerves, I stared ferociously at Lucian. His clear eyes were guarded but the sadness inside was still quite visible. His hand was still reached towards us. After a second, he let it drop to his side. I'll be damned if I let this monster touch me again. Hadn't we both made enough mistakes?

"Is death how far you are willing to go to protect me?" I didn't mean to make the words sound accusatory, yet that was the way it left my mouth. "Because I don't accept it, Lucian. I don't want this! I do not want to be your stupid mate! Fix this Lucian, because I can guarantee you this will not work. Talk to someone about it. There has to be a way to undo the mating bond. I will find a way to break it if you won't. I will not let people die for me."

Lucian took a step towards us, practically seething. "It is not a curse to be broken, Victoria. This is not a curse. It is probably the best thing that will ever happen to you. You need to accept that. You cannot change a mating! It is honest to God impossible. Don't you think I would have tried? You think this is easy for me? Because believe me, I despise you just as much."