21 - Missing

My own snoring was what woke me up. Groaning, I rolled over. Sleep was like a bubble that just got popped. Slowly, my mind crashed back to reality from a dreamless stupor. I had slept like the dead after last night's little....escapade, if that was even the right word for it. Then a small voice in the back of my head, the malicious, curiosity-filled voice that usually came up with all the bad ideas, spoke up.

Was Lucian even alive? He had no heartbeat. Weren't werewolves usually a form of the dead?

And then my brain crawled from the thought to the person behind it. I sat up, stretching my entire body on the luxurious bed. Weak morning light spilled through the balcony doors. I really should remember to pull down the shades next time...

The house felt quiet. It was almost strange, sitting there alone with nothing but the sound of the clock ticking and my own soft breathing. After a final yawn, I tumbled out of bed. The tiger head stared back at me. I would also have to remember to tell Lucian to remove it. There had to be some soft of line between okay and too much.

"Lucian?" Even my own voice felt too loud in the large room. I got up, my curiosity growing. I knew how big his mansion was. My whispering would get me nowhere. However, this was more of a feeling. Something felt off. The sweat on my palms. The loud beating of my heart. The pain was slowly growing in my chest as I went out the door barefoot.

It was just wrong. Something was wrong. Lucian and I had a bond, not exactly of blood but eternal love, as Genie had said. He came to save me that night when Flora and I had been attacked even though no one but Flora, I, and those men knew what was happening. Lucian just knew something was wrong. I could feel the panic blossom even more as a peek into the kitchen gave me no sight of the golden-eyed wolf.

"Lucian!" I ran into the living room, searching frantically. Then reality hit me. Lucian was obviously gone, and Vaughn nor Genie was anywhere to be seen. The front doors were probably unlocked, but if it was, I could easily manipulate the keypad. I had the perfect chance to get Flora and leave London until we were so far away that no bond could make Lucian find us. We had one chance to finally be free from his dominance, his control.

I didn't take it.

Because truth be told, I needed Lucian. Not just to keep me alive but because I really needed him. Lucian had slowly become my anchor. I knew the answer to Genie's question. Yes, I did love Lucian. Now that he was gone, I finally realized just how sane he had kept me. Lucian wasn't the perfect fairy tale prince nor a hero. He was just a broken wolf, in need of love just as much as I. Sad as it may sound, it was still true.

Forcing myself to take deep breaths, I searched the entire house. There was no note on the refrigerator in the kitchen. His bed was completely made and free of wrinkles. The ballroom was still the dark beauty missing the man who played the piano. There was no sign of struggle. Lucian's car was even parked in the driveway.

He was just...gone.

I was utterly alone. Flora was at school, but I would never drag her into my misery. Genie and Vaughn were nowhere to be seen, and I had not a single way to contact them. My mother had left, just like my father. Before, at least I had a sister. Now, there was nothing. Not even the man who said he would always protect me. Lucian had told me not to run away from him. But the tables had turned. It was now Lucian who had left.

I tried to keep myself together but the miserable tears came anyway. Sitting down at the last step, I buried my face in my hands. I hated Lucian so much before. I had utterly despised the dominance he emitted over me, the way his eyes would make me feel. And to think, I wanted nothing more now than to see him walk through the front doors.