CHAPTER 2

EXCERPT 

Felicity is standing in the office of Captain Lance, standing in front of his desk as she argues for all she was worth. Anger is simmering in her veins, which makes Felicity's face flushed. She clenches her hands while her eyes shoot fire at her boss. She is livid.

"Felicity, this is the way things will be," Quentin informs Felicity with a firm voice, leaving no room for discussion. His heart is heavy with the knowledge of how much Felicity wants the promotion, but he has his reasons for holding it back. He won't budge on this. "Either you accept my decision or you can return to the crime scene unit permanently. Isabel will be the lead detective who does all investigations, and you'll be the junior detective working with her here at headquarters. If you want to continue to help the crime scene group, I will allow that so you can see the scene personally."

That's the olive branch the captain is willing to give her.

"This will also give you the opportunity to hear Isabel do the interviews, but you will not present yourself as a detective on the case. I believe Oliver Queen did these murders, and I want him to see no changes. Is that understood?" Quentin firmly informed Felicity with a heavy heart. He had to keep Noah's baby girl safe, even if it meant she hated him. It was the best he could do to honor his partner's sacrifice to this city.

Felicity screws her face up. This is not what she wants, and she doesn't understand why her captain is being so obtuse about it. "I didn't go to the police academy and graduated at the top of my class for this, Captain. This is not fair," she complains heatedly. "You promised me I would be in this case." Felicity brushes her hands over her eyes so her angry tears would not fall.

*******************************

Continue reading by clicking the external link below