The Next Day

I woke up, my clothes from yesterday were still on. Sati was beside me on the other bed snoring. Her covers were completely thrown off. When I looked at my phone and shot up.

Text:

Hey, see you later.

It was from Mark! I went over and woke up Sati. She slapped my hands away. But I didn't care. I went into the little living room area and looked around. Don wasn't here yet. There were a couple ladies in the office looking at files like usual. I sat down on a little couch and yawned. Somehow Luke was in there too. It seems like he's following me or something. Whatever, it's company.

"Hey." Luke smiled and sat by me again like yesterday.

"Hello." I sighed and looked at the ground.

"What's wrong?" He started rubbing my back as I slumped over more.

"He's coming... But I'm not sure if he will." I started sniffling and I leaned away from Luke.

"Hey! When is he coming?" Luke smiled at me and scooted closer.

"This afternoon I think." I sniffled and looked up at him as he started frowning.

"At least you have a chance to leave this hell hole." I sat there shocked as he finished his sentence.

"Shut up! You have Sati, I mean if I were a parent I would adopt you." I chuckled and punched him in the shoulder.

"Well thanks I guess." He smirked and looked toward the door. We both stared at it for a while. A car pulled up in the parking lot... But it wasn't Mark's.

"Wonder who that is." I kept staring at the car as it parked slowly.

"Probably some poor parents looking for a kid." Luke groaned and puffed while looking at the ground.

"That kid could be you." I smiled and patted his shoulder. He chuckled and sat back up. The door creaked open, a couple came walking in slowly. They both stared at us. The man focused on Luke, but the woman looked at me.

"They look sweet." She whispered into his ear and kept smiling at me.

"Yea sweetie, want to talk to them?" He smiled and approached me and Luke.

"Hello." Luke said in a deep husky voice. He sent chills down my back and made me shiver.

"Hello, what's your names?" The man smiled and shook our hands.

"My name is Luke, and this is my friend Autumn." He smiled and put and arm around me. I pushed him off and chuckled.

"Nice to meet you two, would you like a home?" Luke started smiling at me and I stood up.

"I-I'm waiting for someone." I started backing away slowly from them.

"Hey, it's alright. If you ever need someone you can talk to us." They both smiled, Luke seemed happy also. Sati came behind me and saw Luke and the couple.

"L-Luke?" Sati started tearing up and left in a jog.

"Sati!" Luke held a finger up to the parents.

"I'll be right back." He smiled and started chasing after her. The couple looked confused and went over to the office.

"Could we look at Luke's files please?" The man tapped the bell and asked the lady looking at her computer.

"Sure sir, let me look right quick." She smiled and rolled over to the filing cabinet. I started running toward where Sati and Luke ran. It looked like she ran into the girls bathroom. I ran inside and found her crying in the corner.

"He's not leaving you!" I smiled and ran toward the corner where she was. I sat down by her while I saw the makeup running down her cheeks.

"Y-yea he is. He was t-talking to that c-couple!" She threw her arms out toward the door and hit the floor.

"He'll still have your number." I chuckled and rubbed her knee as she looked up.

"It won't be the same." She sniffled and looked toward me.

"You guys can always meet up somewhere." I shrugged my shoulders and stood up.

"I-I guess..." She slightly smiled and stood up by me.

"You'll be fine, I'm positive." I smiled and gave her a hug. She was just a little taller than me, but Luke was way taller. There were a few pounds at the door as I started walking toward it. I got out and sati followed. Luke was standing right where she came out... He grabbed her back and kissed her! I was standing right beside them! So then I just left... It was too weird and awkward for me.

As I walked down the hall and then saw the couple sitting on a bench. They were looking at Luke's files I'm guessing. So I sat on the bench across from them as I kept waiting for Mark. Sati finally showed up and handed me an apple.

"How was your magical moment?" I smiled and took a bite of the apple.

"Wha- oh! It was pure amazing." She smiled and looked at the ceiling. She closed her eyes then looked at me.

"You're still waiting?" She cocked her head sideways and stared at me blankly.

"Yea, shouldn't you be going to school?" I smiled and and cocked my head sideways like her.

"Oh shoot! The bus leaves in like five minutes!" She ran toward her room and left me sitting on the bench. Like 2 minutes later she came sprinting out with her bag on her back.

"Later Autumn!" She smiled and waved goodbye to me. I waved back and watched as she jogged out the door. I sat there still... Waiting. It turned about ten o' clock when I decided to get up from the bench. I went over to the gym but no one was there.

"Well... Might as well shoot around." I shrugged my shoulders and grabbed a basketball. The basketball went up and made it. Then each and every shot brought more sadness. He wasn't coming.

It came about noon when I shot my final shot in the gym. My legs and arms were sore. So I walked back to my room. On the way there Don stopped me.

"Hey! Aren't you supposed to be at school?" He grabbed my shoulder real hard and gave me a what-do-you-think-you're-doing look.

"I don't have a school..." I wiggled out of his grasp and started to tear up.

"Oh, well I didn't know that!" He threw his hands up furiously and looked like he got mad.

"I-I'm sorry." I put my head down. He was being a jerk! Not like he was yesterday...

"It's ok, but why didn't you tell me?" He shook his head and then looked down at me.

"I was to anxious waiting for Mark." I sighed and sat on the bench again in the lobby place.

"Who is Mark?" He frowned and sat beside me.

"My amazing friend... I thought he was my brother. But he never officially adopted me." I started tearing up and sniffling again. Don rubbed my back like Luke would.

"Is he coming here later?" Don stood up by the bench and stared down at me.

"Yea, well at least I think so." I started to tear up again and kept looking toward the door. Tears started tearing down my face as I looked at my phone... No texts, and it was around noon.

"H-he said he would." I started to cry. Don gave me a hug and rubbed my back.

"Hey, it'll be ok." He rubbed my back more and tried to smile. But it didn't help... All I wanted was Mark. But he probably thought what he should've in the first place.

I'm worthless.